1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Next

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DAZ982500, Jul 25, 2005.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I purchased a 98 RAM 2500 55,000 miles last September.I payed 14k with 7.5 MYERS on it.Since owning it, I have repaired two cracked cylander heads, 4 wheel drive switch,o2 sensor and now I am looking at torque converter.I purchased extended warrenty on this too.Some has been covered some has not.I had some one run into the back of the rear quarter planel did 2000.00 dollars worth of damage which also needs repairing.Once deductable is met, 500.00 here they will fix.My question concerns the coming plowing season I most definetly need a backup, but what about this truck.The dealership tells the truck was used by homeowner for personal use.I am seriously wondering about this and whats next.I can 't afford to go out and by a new one ,payment on this is 297 another 4 years.But, at the same time it is used for lawn cutting and snowplowing , last year when they repaired the heads we ended up getting major snowfull the truck was down for 3 days.Ideas please.Thanks Dave.

2. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

thats the problm with buying used. someone got rid of it for a reason. what i want to know is if you where hit in the rear why do you need to pay deductable? oh yea never believe what someone says that is trying to sell you something especailly a car dealer.

3. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply,the situation with the deductable was on the insurance plan I needed to meet the deductable $500.The person left the scene of the incident.As for the truck I could not afford a new one.I guess I will stick with this one.Thanks Dave.

4. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

I think you miss understood me. i was not saying there is anything wrong buying used. just that when you do, those are the problms you run into. becuase the person that is getting rid of it is doing so becuase they are sick of fixing it.

5. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Yes, I have found this to be true, in most cases with used equipment.Anything from 2 cycles all the way up to this truck.Since anything can be fixed, you have to decide for yourself....whether making a larger payment vs a smaller one with the possibility, in this case of doing both payment/repair is worth it.That was my original thought, at what point do I say one outways the other.As we all know plowing is rough on the rig, this will be my second year so I was not in the position(income wise) to buy a new truck so I settled on this.There is the possibility of selling it but the more I learn about it, and put money in, the less likely I will sell it.Most people trade there trucks out 3-4 years if you are doing well...I have not reached this point.I just want a dependable truck that performs when I need it.. bottom line.Dave.

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The cylinder heads really aren't a suprise the 5.2/5.9 engines were notorious for cracked heads. If you've got the $$ the R/T heads are a much better design. Also on the tranny are you positive it's the torque converter, because there are a few sensors in there that can make things really strange.