1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Motor Oil Brand Do You Use In Your Truck?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mercer_me, Oct 30, 2012.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

In my 2002 Chevy 1500 4.8L I use Castrol GTX 5W30 and I change my oil every 3,500 miles. In my Dad's 2010 Toyota Tundra 4.6L he uses Mobil 1 5W20 and he changes his oil every 10,000 miles (what Toyota recommends). When I buy a new vehicle I'm going use Mobil 1 if it's a gas job and Shell Rotella T or T6 if it's a diesel. I was just curious on what everybody else is using for motor oil.

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I run the t6 5w40 in the winter. 15 40 rotella in summer.

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Valvoline 10w-30 in the summer and 5w-30 in the winter. I'm going to add to the OP's question.......Do you guys go by mileage or months? I don't drive my truck too many miles in a year but I have a hard time believing oil just all of a sudden goes bad after 3 months.

4. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

I always used Rotella in my diesel.

5. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

15w 40 rotella in 350 chevy gas,because it lasts lThumbs Uponger

6. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Mobile 5000 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter. I asked my oil Rep on the 3000 miles. 3 months thing he told me that with the new oils. You can go 5000-6000 miles or 3-6 months he said a lot is on where you live and how you drive. He also told me I'm changing my oil in my equipment to much instead of every 150 hours do 200 hours. I hope I helped out

7. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I personally am switching my gassers over to Amsoil or Royal Purple. I've seen some really good things in customer's motors (WaveRunners) that I've switched over to Amsoil and have decided to switch my personal daily drivers over as well.

8. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on he type of driving.

9. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

You switch from Synthetic to non synthetic all the time?:confused:

The T6 is cheap. Here in Canada a Canadian Gallon sells for $42 in the US it was just on sale at Tractor supply for $18.00 Cheap.

I run the Synthetic Rotells all year in the diesel truck and non synthetic Rotella in our Diesel dump truck. Used to use the Amsoil stuff buts its stupidly expensive.

10. MWSAI

MWSAI Member

Valvoline 5w-30 full synthetic all year round in all my gas rigs.

11. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

Amsoil and filter every 10k new filter at 5k

12. meborder

meborder Senior Member

on vehicles that don't get many miles, i go by months. 12 in my case.

anything that does not get driven much gets an oil change once a year.

the plow truck uses wal-mart 10w-30, and a walmart filter. it's old ... everything else uses motorcraft or trop-artic oil and a motorcraft filter. 'cept the cavilier, it gets a delco filter.

13. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I have been using Napa Full synthetic 15W50 in my Yukon and in my wife's Impala and have been changing it as the DIC says to (about 7500 miles, or about every 4 months in the Impala or about 6-8 months in the Yukon) and use Conventional (Napa or Valvoline) diesel oil 15W40 in the Super Duty and change that every 5k or about once a year

14. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I cringe every time I hear someone say that they use Amsoil. It's absolutely the worst lubricant in existence. Heck, if you're going to use Amsoil you might as well switch to sand since they both have the same amount of lubricity and sand is a lot cheaper.

15. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Motorcraft 5w30

16. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

[​IMG]
    There are so many ones for post count.

17. MWSAI

MWSAI Member

Please explain???

18. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

10w-30, cheapest stuff I can find. The trick is to actually change your oil. For flters, I use Pro-Tec it is O'Reilly's commercial brand. They are made by WIX and they are about $1.65 each when you buy a case.

19. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I agree. Please explain why you "think" Amsoil has the same lubricity as sand.

I can personally attest to the opposite.

20. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Mobil 1 is my personal choice