1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what motor do i need?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by roadrr, Sep 7, 2014.

1. roadrr

roadrr Junior Member

well Ive determined my motor is junk on my western plow on my 1999 dodge ram, took the motor off and it wont turn, took it apart and full of rust, I bought this plow condition unknown. so my question is I`m finding two different types of motors, one with an extended shaft coming out of the bottom the other like mine, Looks like a cone shape with a hole in the middle where the shaft goes from the pump. does anyone know what is the correct motor number for mint, the cone shape one? there are no numbers on it, also where is the best place to purchase the unit. thanks again!

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

if your current motor has the "cone shape" as you describe, then replace it with the same style motor.

i assume you have a unimount? if so, that plow would have the "cone shape" motor from the factory, however at some point in its life someone could have swapped in an older motor/pump combination from an older cable controlled conventional setup.

see this thread for more details on the different motor/pump combinations that western used though the conventional/unimount era - which spanned over 30 years.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=152764