1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Model Western is it?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ben613, Jan 5, 2016.

1. ben613

ben613 Junior Member

Hi all, I'm new to the forums...Not new to plowing...ATV's to tractor/blowers...and everything in between! Just found the forum and just got a new toy...'83 6.2 diesel blazer with a 7.6 western...The only ID I've come across is a sticker with the only remaining word "PRO-GUA"...I would believe this to be the remnants of PRO-GUARD.

So, I'm looking to find out the model of mount and blade....

I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow.

Thank you,

Ben

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Pictures would be best.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

By year of truck - Gunna guess it is a Unimount Mounting System, as the Pro Guard with the was on Unimounts and Early Ultramounts

But pictures are a must to truly identify

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

if it's of the same vintage as the truck, it would be a conventional cable controlled unit. cable control pumps were used up until 1991 or so, then solenoid controlled pumps took over. then in 1994 or so unimounts replaced the conventional mounts and the unimounts continued to use the solenoid control pumps.

as said, pictures would answer all questions.

5. ben613

ben613 Junior Member

The site won't let me upload pictures....Here is a link to a thread on another forum....Multiple pictures of the plow....http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/builds-projects-diy/55937-found-new-project.html#close

Thanks for the help so far....This forum is great! I mainly got the blazer for the plow...Which I plan to mount on an 80's K20 or K30.
    For the purpose of clearing 10-40 rural area driveways.

Oh, BTW I've never owned a western before (Only Meyer)....What should I watch on these cable OP pumps?

Ben

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

unimount pro plow.

7. linckeil

from CT

yes, that is what I suspected. a conventional mount, cable controlled unit. a 7.5 foot blade came in either standard (2 trip springs, no shock), or pro (3 trip springs, 1 shock). you have the pro-plow version.

very reliable pumps and most parts are still available even though the pump has not been produced since the early 1990's. but can be tough to get adjusted just right.

the western plow website under the publications library has plenty of information on the plow and mount.

http://library.westernplows.com/

8. linckeil

from CT

look again. cable pump, conventional mount fixed to frame behind bumper.

9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

You are correct. It is a conventional.

I never thought that the pro guard was available on the conventional. That that came out with the unimounts. Late model conventional??

10. ben613

ben613 Junior Member

The PO may have mixed and matched the parts....He was good friends with his GM/Western Dealer.

Ben

11. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Well, I got the pro plow part right....:eek:

Serves me right for looking at it on my cell phone