1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What model plow is this? Help a newby!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by aje3721, Dec 27, 2009.

1. aje3721

aje3721 Junior Member

First, I'd like to apologize for the newby question. I'm a member of a lot of forums and I know how I hate it when someone asks the same question for the 20th time but I searched and I cannot tell which model plow this is. I have a 91 Wrangler and have no intention of trying to mount a 10' V plow on it like some try to do but I'm working with several 1/4 mile stone driveways and don't know if this unit will hold up. The current owner mentioned "Suburbanite" but this plow the real deal pump and seems more substantial than what I've seen of the Suburbanite. I guess the input I need is if this will hold up or does it belong on an ATV. I know it's a Wrangler so I'm limited to begin with. Like I said, I'm new to this profession so please be patient with me :) Thanks in advance for the assistance! Hopefully I can figure out how to attach a pic...

PC190038-2.jpg

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

possible way to see the "A" frame and quard (picture of the back of the plow??

3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Hard to tell from the front but it's possible it's an LSX or Sport Utility, all were Unimount.

4. twinman326

look like a "unimount" maybe 6'5" sport utility

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  5. aje3721

aje3721 Junior Member

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the back of the plow. When I got on Western's web site, I saw the rubber band units on the Suburbanite plow and thought that was a little light for what I want to do. I also didn't see the hydraulic ram and pump therefore I thought this unit was heavier and capable of holding up to stone driveways. Here is the best I can get with the picture of the mount and plow in the background. If this unit seems too light for what I want to do does anyone have a good recommendation for a Wrangler (leaf spring front end)?

PC190034-2.jpg

6. twinman326

should of took a pic of the back of the plow.. Just by seeing the side of the plow, it is a 6" 5" sport utility unimount plow. I have one just before I got my second plow. I never had a problem pushing snow on gravel drive ways, or in tight places..when you plow on graves, just make sure your shoes are adjust to height so you won't push too much gravel

Just have to check the braces for "weld cracks" and the bottoms "rust"out..A good welder can fab new braces.

unim.jpg

PDF
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13629_090199.pdf

unim.jpg

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's a Sport Utility and perfect for what you're doing.

8. aje3721

aje3721 Junior Member

Just about out of the woods...

I had one dealer recommend that I use a 7.5 Meyer poly with a fabed mount on the Wrangler but I thought that may be a little heavy... I have a welder and can at times surprise myself if I get in a jam but my main concern was how well this plow would "hold up". Looking through some posts now that I have an idea what is going on, it seems to be a sport utility rather than the LSX. The LSX seems to be a heavier unit with the channel design on the back? Like you said, it's perfect for what I'm doing now would you pay $1200 for the whole shootin' match, mount and all??

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Would I pay $1200 for it? No :D, but it's worth that if the condition is good and includes all the truck side electrical components including a controller, and a mount.

10. twinman326

My first plow was the sport utilityn and I paid 1500.00 for all..1200.00 in good shape is a good price..

11. aje3721

aje3721 Junior Member

Thank you very much

Thanks for the patience and assistance! The guy said he just put a new cutting edge on it and said he had no complaints so if I can come up with cash, hopefully it'll be mine. Again, thanks for the warm greeting for the newby and if anyone else has anymore input about this model, please share. I can't afford a new plow right now so hopefully this will work for a while for me.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The sports were actually a rather tough little plow in their day. If treated correctly it will do the job for years to come.

There's still many of them out there happily churning along.

13. aje3721

aje3721 Junior Member

That's the vote of confidence I needed to hear from someone who has been there and knows what they're talking about!