1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what medium duty 4x4 to buy?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowsniper1, Dec 16, 2008.

1. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

what medium duty 4x4 to buy?chevy 5500,ford f550or dodge 5500.or other what would be the best way to outfit it.it will have a dump box w/sander and front blade.will be used to haul equipment salt lots and plow open lots & sup division roads
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would vote for the Chevy. They sit higher so there is better vision. I believe they have a stronger frame.
  3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Don't forget the Mitsu Fuso FG140

The mitsu isn't great for towing heavy. But I bet it will do everything else top notch. I would probably go for the GM or Dodge cause I haven't heard anything good about Ford's 6.4
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Well, the Dodge 5500 is really a Sterling (Diamler) and Sterling is being closed off by Daimler, so that may be a whole new issue. resale on the current ones will be much less (although you may be able to get a smoking deal on them).

The F550 is a much physically smaller truck (although it tows/hauls the same) than the 5500 chevy. This may be a plus or a minus depending on your usage.
    The chevy 5500 is a physically larger truck. In fact the 4x4 5500 is bleeping huge, you might as well get a class 7 truck, basically the same size.

problem with any of these is that the engine is still basically a pickup truck engine in a MUCH stronger frame/chassis. For the same money you can get a bigger class truck/engine that really will last a LONG LONG time.

But, depends on your needs of course.
  5. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I like the F-550 as it has the standard F-250/350/450 cab, and with the wide track front axle on the 05+ F-550s they turn very, very well.
  6. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

you can get the 19,500 gvwr package on the new f550s thats awesome for a truck that size. compare that with how much a chev 5500 would weigh with the same gvwr. much more payload on the ford.
  7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I like Chevy, but I have sean alot of F-550's around with plows and wings.
  8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We have two 4500's. They are very nice for visability and plow like a champion! I would probably get a 6500-7500 two wheel drive. They have some real good deals on them. Last time i looked they had some in the $48,000 range
  9. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Id go with the chevy/gmc
  10. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

Chevy/GMC all the way! Visibility, Dmax engine, Allison Trans, More Ground clearance what more could u ask for.
  11. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

Personally my first place to look would be the Dodge/Sterling 5500. That 6.7 cummins is a beast.
  12. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Personally i would go with a F550 because of the size difference, for year round work i need to get into smaller areas and the Chevy 5500 is just too big. I like the F550 because of the smaller size with a large payload.
  13. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

you cant beat the front end on the chevy medium dutys. Straight axle, manual locking hubs, and leaf springs. They still have a good turning radius too unlike the fords when they had leaf springs. The duramax and allison are really good too.
  14. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We want to see picks which ever way you go
  15. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

thanks guys