1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what maximum inches do you plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by birddseedd, Nov 16, 2011.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

a client wants me to plow a small lot at 6 inches. what is the maximum you typically wait before plowing?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

2 inches...

3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

2 inches max on commercial.

whatever the customer wants on residential typicically 2-4 inches

4. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Walk away, that or sign a huge non fault contract. That question just scares me on how cheap they want to have it done for.

5. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Depends on how bad of storm, time of day, what the account is, how well the account pays, how quick the account pays...

Usually 2 to 3 on a commercial. During the day some of my accounts are Zero Tolerance, so 1 flake and I salt the piss out of it and they are happy

6. birddseedd

the pay is decent and thell pay on time. im just worried that 6 inches will be a little rough on my truck. i was thinking i would say i had to do it every 4 inches.

good sized lot but not real big. what do you think?

7. birddseedd

2inches seems a little excessive to me. here in mi we can get 18 overnight. that would be 9 plows in a night.

this specific account is a church. i usually tell people 4inches. 2 with no upcoming snow.

i have no problem leaving it at4. but 6 can add up after 100 feet.

would you non plow until , or is that too much wear on the truck? if you think 6inches isn't too much then Ill do it at6. 04Dodge1500 8' western

8. grandview

Your not in the charity work,plow it and charge them for your service.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I plow it all. No sense in leaving the blade up and doing it again.

10. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

What is your normal trigger or is this "new" for you. It's your business and equipment to maintain. Will 6" be harder on the equip than 2" absolutely. To me it seems foolish to set yourself up for potential downtime. Sign with 2" trigger or walk away IMO.

11. grandview

12. 903ntate

903ntate Junior Member

2" here as well

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

The 18" storm thing makes sense.....................not like I would plow every 2 inches all the way to the 18" mark. BUT, you're saying that it could snow a 5.5 inch event and you would not plow it? Sounds rediculous to me. I could see waiting for 6" or so before you plowed an 18" event, just to knock it down. But to not plow lesser events is really hurting your income potential. Correct me if I have this wrong.

I'm with everyone else on 2"

14. birddseedd

normally 4inches during snowfall, or 2 at the end of snowfall.

maybe my question should be how much harder is6 6 than 4?

15. grandview

Have to ask GP on that one.

16. birddseedd

i agree, and im sure he will want to change it on the first 5.5 day.

though add stated above i think i will make him sign a release of liability.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  17. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Before accepting a deal like that, consider how many times it will snow less than 6", then imagine several "small" snow events happening that don't require plowing based on the contract. Then imagine what will happen to all those "small" snows that get driven on every day and the sun only partially melts, which turns to a thick glazed sheet of ice at night. Then imagine getting "the big one" that you have been so anxiously awaiting. Then try to imagine trying to move 6"+ of snow across a surface you can skate on.
    In the words of Pink Floyd..."Run Like Hell" (away from that kind of deal).

18. birddseedd

lol. these are some of the things i actually want to being up to the client next time i speak with him

19. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Normal is two inches, if you are doing all yours at 4" I sure in the heck hope you have a great non liability insurance!!! Like coldcoffee said your going to have a hell of a lot of pack down then if it melts and refreezes think of the hazard you’re dealing with. On large storm you should be able to plow every two inches you may start a lot at two but by the time you get back to it on a 18" storm you'll have more than two on it again. Most on here plow with the storm which means they try to keep themselves from having to plow 6"+ at a time take a hell of a lot long and hard on equipment especially if it’s a wet snow.

20. birddseedd

spoke with customer today, will be plowing every 4" of continuous snow, so during a storm it will be plowed as much as the rest of my route. then plowing at 3" on days the lot is used