1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What makes Insta-Act's so 'fast" or are they really?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by TJS, Jan 8, 2011.

1. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Ok I have an insta act that I got that needs a little work. Got the manifold all cleaned up and unstruck 2 of the three cartridges. Cleaned out the poppets and found a missing spring in one of the poppets. Got the pump out and split the pump apart to check the gears and such. I am comparing the size of the gears to my Fenner pump. The gears in the Fisher pump are a lot smaller. The larger the gears the more volume and more volume equals speed. I even upgraded my Fenner pump to 2.5cc/rev pump (stock is 1.6cc/rev) and the gears and pump body are twice the size of the Insta act pump. I have also upgraded my Fenner to a heavy duty "higher performance" motor. The Insta act I have needs a new motor as I bought it without one. Is the key to the speed of these things in the motor??? I doubt it.

Does anybody know what the cc/rev are the Insta act pumps. The big question is who makes the gear pumps for Fisher and are larger gear pumps available(i.e longer bodies). I am well aware more volume equals a higher tax on the elect. system which is the payoff for speed.

Once I get this together I am going to compare the speeds of my Fenner and the Insta-Act. This may not be for a while though as I will be building my own harness.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Without motor RPM, cc/rev is useless data....
  3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

That is the main reason why I am asking if anybody knows.

I did take some measurements of the gears themselves.
    Fenner (stock 1.6cc/rev) on the left and Fisher Insta Act on the right.

Here are the housinings. Don't let the size of the Fenner fool you.

Ok here is the pumps taken apart. Fenner on the left and Fisher on the right.

Here are the gears. The diameter of the Fenner is 1.20" and the height is .249"
    The diameter of the Fisher is 1.075" and the height is .230"