1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Make/Type is This?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by XJ1517, Nov 18, 2015.

1. XJ1517

XJ1517 Junior Member

Looking at a truck for a backup/personal that I wont really use for the business, but may just in case.

I know its a Western plow. Not very big, maybe medium duty. It seems very old as it has cables that go into a box to angle and lift. Well the guy I'm looking to get it from doesn't have it working. He melted a wire or something which melted a part of the box where one of the cables go in. I told him I'll buy it if I can get it to work. Anyone have any way to bypass the crappy control box and maybe wire toggles or something to even see if it goes up/down?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Old ASS plow....you'll need a back up to the back up.

It's a conventional plow I think
  3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Early 80s - I hope the price is really low.
    you could wire up a switch, but it would be a real pain to use.
  4. XJ1517

XJ1517 Junior Member

Agreed on the being old comments. I can get the truck (late 90's 3/4 ton chev) with a parts truck and plow for 1200
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'd pass. And I'm saying earlier then 80s
  6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

If the truck is late 90s, the plow is at least 10 years older. Can't hook up switches for plow functions. Wire only controled the motor relay. Go to Western web site. Read the repair manuel. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time on that one.
  7. bmc1025

bmc1025 Member

The truck looks to be an 88-92, looking at the grill. You can buy brand new control box with new cables from s.a.m. for under 200.00. When those plows are minimally maintained they are very dependable. Ground that solenoid to run the plow motor, it looks like the up/down cable part of the box is still intact.