1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What make, model?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pmhowe, May 23, 2013.

1. pmhowe

pmhowe Junior Member

I just bought a used 7 1/2' snow plow, that I plan to fit to my tractor. (The plow has has had some use, but still has life.)

I think it is a Western, but there are no markings. Can you confirm make, and maybe tell me the model and roughly when it was built? Also, it is clear I need to replace the cutting edge. Can you identify what I need, and suggest where to buy? What would it have cost, new?

Many thanks for the help.

Plow 1.jpg

Plow 2.jpg

Plow 3.jpg
  2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Definitely a Western, I'm thinking a Conventional Pro, 8'?
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Replace what cutting edge? They used the base angle to scrape
  4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  5. pmhowe

pmhowe Junior Member

I downloaded the manual, and was able to identify part numbers, including one for the cutting edge. Did search on web for cutting edges and found prices varying from $98 to $185. The $98 one looked great until I found out shipping was $105. Called local dealer, they will sell me one for $125, plus tax and I pick it up.

I straightened the bent upper edges, cleaned the rust off it, and applied a coat of bonding primer. The primer is white! I decided a white snow plow might not be the best thing to have in a blizzard. Will apply color coat in the next week or so.

Thanks again for the help.

6. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Thumbs Up :drinkup:
  7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

it's not a pro, but it won't make a difference for the cutting edge. the bolt pattern would be the same.
    the cheaper ones you found are probably 3/8 thick (part # for 7-1/2' is 49088), or if you want 1/2" lick that would be a 49346.

the plow is what I call the '70's' style. it was made before there was standard and pro.

the way you can tell them apart: the pro has 7 ribs instead of 5, it would have 3/4" cylinder pins instead of 1", and it would have a shock in addition to the springs.
    also this particular one has the really long (41" I think) a-frame that was just used on some 'mid mount' Fords, because the hitch points were back under the truck further than most vehicles.
  8. pmhowe

pmhowe Junior Member

Update on plow

I thought you might be interested in seeing my plow as it currently exists. Now all I need is some deep snow to see how it works.

9. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Looks professional...well done.

I just don't envy you in a blizzard, or when it's below single digits. No cab + no heat = Brrrrrrrrrr.

Get the goggles and snowsuit ready!
  10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

hey that looks pretty cool!
  11. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Nice work!
  12. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Sweet! Old school.