1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Made Up A Sno Commander Model?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jjklongisland, Nov 13, 2006.

1. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I have a 1989 Dodge Ram W250 Sno Commander. Does anyone know what the additional options were part of the Sno Commander Model. Thanks

2. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Heavy duty spring and shocks
    Plow/plow wiring
    Cab/clearance lights
    Stickers to make it rust faster
    Most but not all got ASD
    And
    Some got upgraded differentials and transfer case

It is common to see them NP 241 transfer case with a 44 Cad front and 60 rear with anti spin.
    It rare to see them with np 205 Transfer case with 60 Front and 60 rear with anti spin.

Why what does your truck have?

3. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Its a sno commander model... The guy I bought it from was the original owner and sold the plow and cradle a year after he got it. The truck is definately stiff; W250 regular cab, long bed... With low fuel your jaw chatters with every bump. It only has 74,000 original miles on the 318 auto. It should run forever... Its in great condition, no rust, never been hit or abused by a contractor. I recently put 33's on her, a light rack, bed liner, tauno cover and some steps. The interior is bare bones but immaculate. No rips or anything. Knock on wood, eveything on her works... When I bought her I couldnt get her to engage into 4 wheel drive... It was the vacuum lines, I bypassed them and installed a posi-loc system which works real well. I am afraid that when I mount the plow on her the front tires might rub. Everyone in the Dodge Ramcharger club said the 33 X 12.5's were gonna rub but they don't and I push her real hard off road... I am mounting this week to her an 8' meyer with an E-60. I might mount her stock wheels and tires if she rubs... Its my beach/home depot/plow truck but Ilove drving her. I just wish her damn brake pedal wasn't so high. I was thinking of cutting it and welding it at a lower angle. Its just so damn uncomfortable, I am a big guy and the seet doesnt go back far enough. Lets see how 15 hours of plowing feels with that high brake.

4. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Theres a New Ram at the dealer up the street from me, they have a truck with a big sticker on the bed that says " Snow Chief ".....The sticker Reads 2007 dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Snow chief Addition~ :dizzy: Nice truck but it's a Hemi...If it was a cummins i might already have it by now!

5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

You can't get the Snow Chief package with the Cummins, you can get the plow prep package, but you don't get the fancy sticker. If you're wondering

Plow Prep Package is:
    160 amp alternator
    750 amp battery
    Transfer case skid plate

Snow Chief Package is:
    160 amp alternator
    750 amp battery
    LSD Rear Axle
    Clearance lights
    245/70/17 all terrain tires
    "Snow Chief" badge"
    Transfer case skid plate

6. cha-chas plowin

cha-chas plowin Member

brake calipers

dodge 2500 was sitting for about 6 months can thay be lubed to loosen tham up i head it can be done but how or if its true:dizzy:

7. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

so I'm not the only one thats heard of the snow chief...:waving: I may go to the dealer tomorrow and just order that fancy badge though..xysport wesport

8. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

So a Snow Chief is nothing more or then a standard plow truck with a very expensive badge. :) Minus the clearance lights that is what a Snow prep should be. I just went through getting a new 2500 and had to look hard to find a truck with a Snow Prep and an LSD.

Why in the world would anyone want a truck to plow without and LSD? I say, if you get a 4x4 without at least 1 LSD, might as well just get a 2 wheel drive with and LSD. Show prep should be with and LSD.

A lot of true 4x4 SUVs on the road with TRUE 4 wheel drive. Shame none of the big four are making a truck a true 4x4.

End of my rant,
    Chris

9. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

The Alternator is a still a 136 amp with the CTD.

10. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Great truck and will run forever. But I would recomend getting a fisher. I am not found of the Myers. To many problems

11. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I thought rubber flooring or carpeting delete whatever they call it was also part of the package?