1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Loader R U Using?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by gottaloveOT, Jun 23, 2009.

1. gottaloveOT

gottaloveOT Senior Member

Those of you who use large loaders with a pusher, what type of loader do you use? Do you like it? What don't you like about it?

We are going to put in a request for another loader and we want one larger than our current John Deere 544G.

I have been looking at the Komatsu loaders and more specifically the 320.

Thanks.

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Isnt a 544 big enought to run a 16ft pusher?

We run an old ford because its simple, strong, and heavy.

Komatsu makes a nice machine, but so is a kawisaki, or dusan, dewoo...

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, I can't really see needing a bigger loader then a 544. When pushers get bigger then 16 ft they seem to leave alot of snow behind.

4. Cat Man 77

Cat Man 77 Member

we use a 938 loader with a 16 foot avalanche and this machine pushes like none other. we also have a 65Z IV that will take the 16 footer, and a 621 for that same pusher. and an old W20B with a 10 foot backhoe pusher.

5. gottaloveOT

Well I think the 544 is getting old cause there are times it can't even push the 12' box we have on it. That is why we were thinking just one size bigger. But we would like to also get a much larger box than what we have, possibly a 20' folding or so and our 544 will not push that. We have some big lots here and we often have to call in contractors to help and they will bring in 3 loaders with 16'-20' boxes and we will have our 544 going too.

6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

wow, a 544 not pushing a 12...thats a tired machine!

becareful going over 16 feet if the lots not reallly flat it will leave alot of snow.

and going over 16 foot needs alot of loader behind it...not sure 1 size will do it. I am thinking a 744 size machine for a 20.

7. gottaloveOT

Well, maybe not a 20' then but something larger than the 12'. Probably the 16'. The 544 has 115hp and the Komatsu I was looking at WA320 has 167hp. My supervisor said that I should request big then I would be more than likely get the size I would like.

8. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Yep, you are more than likely to be shot down some on your budget, so when you over guestimate, you can get the one you actaully wanted.

9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

In my opion dealer support is every bit as important as brand, so you need to look at that as well. I run a 2007 Hyundai 740-7, was considerably less than the others, & the dealer has been great. From talking to them & research Hyundai is huge in Korea owns the mine, etc, with regards to the steel, that is a huge area where they save apartantly. Before I talked to the sales person, I had the pleasure of meeting with head shop mechnic & walking through the machine, he said he just had one come in on trade with 10K hrs, still worked fine. Opened engine thinking after 10 K hrs it would need bearings, they were fine as well.

10. gottaloveOT

I found out that I can only get American built loaders. So the two around here are CAT and John Deere.

11. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

As it should be. By the way isn't Kramer Allrad a German built product?

12. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

yea, actually now I believe its wacker-neuson or something like that

13. gottaloveOT

Not that I have a problem with buying American products, I want to get the equipment with the features that I want. And if the American product doesn't have what I want, then I will buy what does.

And I DO NOT want this to turn into a "Buy American" thread. That topic is loaded and would go for many pages.

Kramer-Allrad is owned by Wacker-Neuson but still sold under the name Kramer-Allrad neuson. I don't know how the purchasing department decided on those but we got'em. The Kramer we have in this building is about 30 years old and the replacement parts are hand made so it takes a while to get them since they have to be made, then come from Germany to AIS and then to us.

I have a CAT sales rep coming out today to talk with me and possibly drop a off a demo 908 to our downtown location so they can see if it will fit their needs. For us we could go with at 906 and be fine and I was looking at a 930H or 950H for our big loader.

14. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

Why not upgrade to a 544J or K?

15. gottaloveOT

We may depending on what the company that leases us equipment decides.

Currently we have a CAT 906H demo to use to replace the two Kramers we have. They are nice machines and I think they would be great for what we need them for. Friday CAT is bringing out a 930H for us to demo so we will see how that works.

Once those loaders are gone, I will try to get a couple JD loaders but the closest dealer is a couple hours away.

16. gottaloveOT

Got our demo 930H today. What a rig! Little different than our old 544G but I could get used to it. This machine has the air ride seat which is nice too. Tons of power compared to the 544.

I want!

17. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

18. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I know you don't want to turn this into a "made in America" debate but I have a touch of irony I thought you might get a kick out of. Check that new 930H for the term "Made in Japan" and the silver and turquoise Certified Japanese Export logo. The irony is that you will find both. Many Cat products (including mid size loaders, small to medium size excavators, and small dozers) are made in Japan-not America. I own a Cat 315CL that has those same stickers on it. I would prefer to see "made in America" on it but that's just not the way it is. I certainly can not complain about the machines performance or reliability to date. If your employers truly want American made loaders they might want to check out John Deere. I am not sure where they are made. I hope it's in the good ol' USA.

19. gottaloveOT

If they think CAT is okay to purchase, I won't say a word. ;)

Don't think that would fit in our building.

20. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Aw haha. Would have been cool, How many people do you know that can say they ran a Cat 994? Haha.