1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Liquids to use

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rnblase, Jan 22, 2009.

1. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

I need some help I am adding liquids to company to help in de-icing/anti-icing, I am trying to find the right product that will
    1. Prevent bonding of ice and snow to the pavement.
    2. Be strong enough to burn off about 1 to 2 inches of snow or ice.
    3. Be able to use it on sidewalks with out it tracking in the stores.
    4. Something that is not going to create slippery conditions.

I have been looking at salt brine, Liquid Mag, Liquid Calcium, Magic, Beet Juice

Any suggestions would help. Also what application rates you use.
    Thanks
    Rick

2. Salisbury1975

Salisbury1975 Junior Member
    from Detroit

We use 85% salt brine at 23.3 and 15% caliber which is liquid mag. works good in a pre treatment scenario, I dont know of any liquid that will burn 1-2"(if you find one let me know) We use our brine on walks, its clear no tracking and we are really shooting for no sod damages, It is not slippery when applied. Application rates for walks are roughly 1 gallon per 1000sf, on lots we use about 50 g per acre pre wetting and about 75 when melting .5" or less.

There is a big learning curve getting into liquids, no two storms are the same. I'm very happy overall, we have cut bulk salt by 60% and bagged icemelt for walks by 85%.

Good Luck

3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Calcium chloride will melt off 1 inch of ice, but you cant afford to apply it at that rate. About 90 cents a gallon.

4. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Thank you for your help. I also have been looking at GeoMelt. I agree I think what ever I decide on, the way to go is mixing it with salt brine.
    Rick

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Remember, most things like GeoMelt or Magic (whatever it's called now) Ice-Ban (whatever it's called now) are chloride enhancers. They really don't work as de-icers on their own. Except at extremely high rates.

GeoMelt does work well, mixed with brine. Either sodium or calcium.

6. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

We use IBG Magic Liquid at 20% mixed in with our Brine for pre-treating( some of the best residual we have seen out there). We use 10% Calcium mixed in with our Brine for Post treating after plowing on most occasions.

7. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

we have been using 10% calcium mixed in with our brine for pre and post treatment and its working pretty well. i think that the pencil stream tips work best for post treat with hard pack. any one else find any tips are better or worse for post treat?