1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Liquid to Use

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rnblase, Jan 21, 2009.

1. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

I need some help I am adding liquids to company to help in de-icing/anti-icing, I am trying to find the right product that will
    1. Prevent bonding of ice and snow to the pavement.
    2. Be strong enough to burn off about 1 to 2 inches of snow or ice.
    3. Be able to use it on sidewalks with out it tracking in the stores.
    4. Something that is not going to create slippery conditions.

I have been looking at salt brine, Liquid Mag, Liquid Calcium, Magic, Beet Juice

Any suggestions would help. Also what application rates you use.
  2. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Ok...was not going to answer but ::::::: All those together in -1- product you are not going to find it...its just not out there.

Your # 1,3 & 4 yes...but that #2 request..nope,,,sorry not going to happen without using salt of some sort.

Here is a good suggestion for a beginner...purchase a liquid product called Bare Ground and test it on an area ( Im presuming you have a public access point you want to keep clear) ....apply pre storm and monitor the results. If it is what you want then use it in all your locations. If not, then go too plan B.

Liquids are ONLY practical for >> anti-icing / bonding << not >>de-icing.

Im not an expert...just years of experience :realmad:
  3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have to disagree with this. Since salt has become tuff to find we have gone all liquid. Now its not as good as salt but its what we have available. We burn off 1/2" of snow all the time. Any more and we plow then liquid the lot. It leaves our lots wet, clear and safe
  4. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Bare Ground

Do they offer this Bare Ground in bulk 4000 to 5000 gal tankers? I went to their website and the largest quantity I could find was 5gal pals. We do large shopping centers, hospitals, and sports complexes from 600,000sq.ft. to over 3,000,000sq.ft.. I don't think it would be cost effective in that small of quantity.
  5. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Rick, If you have that kind of SF' to cover then you need to really look into a brine system and produce your own liquid de-icer. The cost of buying even the 250Gal skid containers would be expensive (unless your customers are willing to pay) my customers did not see the benefit and most have cancelled the liquid app's and requested "salting" be the method used. We do use liquid on most of the sidewalks and entry ways due to the fact that it makes for alot less labor for our ground crews.

Superior L&L, I was referencing the melting of "ice"....as for snow I would never advise the use of liquid for such a small amount of snow. I have yet to see a liquid deicer that can "melt" away a 1/2" of ice....we have tried most of the products out there and the jury is still out on what performs the "BEST" if at all.

As I have stated in almost all of my posts & responses...liquid deicer is only effective for use as an anti bonding agent (mpo).
  6. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I wouldn't really recommend trying to make your own. You can get 5000 gallons delivered here in MI for about .27/gallon. It depends how much you're going to use. I know Superior uses a buttload of the stuff, therefore gets it pretty cheap.

It's a known fact that liquid wont work in really wet situations, or instances when there's a lot of ice. (I've never even seen 1/2" of ice except where there's drippy gutters on porches and sidewalks..)

Why would you not recommend liquid for 1/2" of snow? I've done it and it works great, and it's a LOT cheaper than salt, even with me paying .47/gallon. In one small lot I was spending 60 for salt, using liquid I spent about 32. If you're getting large quantities, you'd be somewhere around 15-20 bucks,

If I didn't have a bunch of salt left, I would love to use liquid, especially after plowing. It's easy, clean, no lifting (I spread bagged product), and works great. When we had some near-zero temps here my lots were the only dry ones in the area.

Kipcom, I'm not trying to correct you and say your wrong, but from my own experience, liquid is a very easy and cost effective way to anti-ice, de-ice, and melt light snow. I think salt still works a bit better and faster, especially on ice, but I see no reason why liquid couldn't be used as a replacement in most cases.