1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What light weight snow blower?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bwilder10h, Dec 10, 2005.

1. bwilder10h

bwilder10h Junior Member

I'm looking for a light weight snow blower that I can lift in and out for some walks and tight spots on residentials and wanted to see what everyone has had good experiences with.

I've seen the 38lb powerlite Toro has and wanted to weigh my options before purchasing something.

2. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

Toro 3650 U Will Not Regret It... 75 Lbs 6,5 Hp

3. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC Junior Member

Ariens 722EC 7hp single stage. Dont know the weight but it sure can throw the snow.

4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I have two of the Toros you mentioned(38 pounds) and I would not have anything else. They are powerful and so easy to lift.Dont burn much fuel either. You wont be sorry.

5. Hardware 2

Hardware 2 Junior Member

We run 8 Toro's. Nothing better.

6. bwilder10h

bwilder10h Junior Member

Thanks for all the responses. I'm looking for something to lug in and out (over the side of the bed) so I'm leaning toward the 38 pounder.

With Toro's 5 year start guarantee, I suppose it's hard to go wrong...

7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Thats why I bought a Toro, because I have to lift it over the side of the bed. I have a vbox in my truck and have to strap it to the top rail and side of the spreader. That Toro is lightweight yet throws some snow.

Good Luck Mike

8. Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter Junior Member

I like the Honda

I got a new Torro and it siezed up in 5 minutes. I had the correct amount of oil too. I took it back to Home Depot and got the Honda. the Honda works great, no oil and doesn't use a lot of gas.

Jack

9. flykelley

Jack the Honda is a great snowblower but I can't find a small honda they were all to big to get in the truck along with the salt spreader.

Regards Mike

10. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

usually the warranty is only for 1 year if commercially used.

11. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Hey guys I am toro's website right now. What is the model number of these? I too need one for the back of the truck no room for the two stages and the go out in a regular truck.

JP

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  12. 04superduty

this is one model number and the one that i use at my house, i use to snow blow walks off but this year my work has a sidewalk crew.

13. Young Pup

right in front of thanks. Duh. Boy am I blind.

Thanks,

JP

14. flykelley

My dealer told me 2 years, and he better back it up for two years.

Regards Mike

15. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Nothing will go wrong in two years, I'm on my second year with mine, have not changed or done anything to it and it is just fine. Personally I think for commercial purposes the single stages are better because first of all you plow with the storm so your never really blowing huge amounts, second the rubber blades scrape the concrete BARE, and third, they are fast! I am running behind mine. Since they are rubber, if you hit some lifted up concrete, they just bounce over it.

I went with the in-between model. Not too small, not too big.

16. bobshm

bobshm Junior Member

I use to use single-stage Simplicity blowers. I could squeeze one in next to the sander. When the engine blew on the first one, I figured that I must have screwed up in some way. When I blew up another one, I began to look a little closer. There is no air cleaner- just open carburetor. Sand from filling the sander spills on to the snowblower and eventually finds it's way in to the engine. Dumb design. Now I just leave older 2-stage blowers on the properties, or shovel.

17. 04superduty

my toro 3650 doesnt have a air filter either. seems stupid but a air filter might get iced up and stop running on such a small engine.

18. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

I've never seen a filter on the carb for a snowblower for that exact reason. But, they generally have some sort of plastic housing that does not allow stuff to fly into it.

That said, we have an old B&S engine that we swap from the snowblower in the winter to the tiller in the summer. Still works -- with no air filter -- after tilling for at least 15 years. So, guess it depends on luck :p

19. somm

somm Senior Member

16" Toro, single stage 2 cycle 3.5 hp. (Less than 25 pounds)

Steps, Decks, Landings, walks, etc.

20. Young Pup

But how much snow can it handle? 3,4,5 or 6 inches at one time.

JP