1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Light Do I Want?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stik208, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't decide what kind of light I want. I want it to be magnetic, but I can't decide on strobes or rotary Highlighters or anything else. Some suggestions?
    Jason

2. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Highlighter will be fine!

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

It depends on what you want to spens and when you do most of your plowing. If you plow at night a lot you may want to invest in strobes or LED's which tend to cost more. If you plow during the daylight hours than you should go with rotators or LED's. Rotators are the least expensive. LED's seem to be the best all-around light system but they are a bit pricey.

4. Stik208

I have 5 driveways to do, so I need to preyy much be done by 8 a.m. or so I will be out at 2 or 4 a.m. to get all of them done. I do like the Highlighter because from on this forum and my old boss has 2 of them (rotors) and they are bright. So Highlighter strobe would be better for night early morning?
    Jason

5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Sure, it would be fine. The problem with strobes is, unless you spend the $$$ and get very good quality bulbs and power packs, they are not as bright in the daylight hours. Especially if there is a lot of fresh white snow on the ground. I have strobes in my truck and wish I had LED's.

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I have an amber mini strobe bar that is great. It has the two strobes inside with the mirror in the middle, magnetic mount and plugs into the lighter or in my case the aux power supply. Cost me $220.00. I've been on the highway doing 80 (lightbar mounted, plow OFF!) and over some bumpy roads and that sucker hasn't budged. I've heard a few guys say the cheapo magnetic mounts can blow off on the highway. I avoided rotators because in the extreme cold some of them don't rotate so well anymore.
    Whatever you go with is a personal choice. The key is that it stays where you put it and works when you need it for safety.

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've had real good luck with my dual rotator. I got mine from Northern Tool.

8. Stik208

I was gunna go with the Highlighter off of AWDirect, But either strobe or rotor. Strobe is i think $162.99 and rotor is a little cheaper. So Im still trying to figure it out, how does the strobe Highlighter work?
    Jason

9. ultimate plow

from N. IL

For what you are doing, the rotator highlighter will be fine. I dont think you will need a bunch of fancy lights. The highlighter will do the job fine for you. I own one of them and they are great. The strobe model only uses a 20 watt power supply. The rotator highlighter has to be one of federal signals greatest lights because its so much widely used and its durability and power in a mini lightbar. Trust me you wont go wronge with this light!!!

10. Stik208

I thought about going with the strobe model because of the less power draw. I have read on here that the rotators draw more power and amps.
    Jason

11. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

I think probably a strobe would draw the most power. I think.

I used to have a FedSig Highlighter on my CJ7 when it had a plow. That thing was BRIGHT! And very, very fast. They come in different speeds, I always get the fastests.

12. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

I ordered a Whelen dual strobe mini light bar today. I will get some pics when it gets installed. I did a lot of research and narrowed it down to the Nova 360 mini bar or the Whelen. I went with the Whelen because it has an internal 40 watt power supply vs. a 30 watt for the Nova. Price was $144 with the magnetic mount.

13. Stik208

I think Im going to go with this one its the mini excalibur by code 3.

alexcimg-lg.jpg

14. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

Here is the Whelen strobe I was talking about. Much lower amperage draw than the halogen rotators, and no need to worry about rotator freezing in cold weather. Just my 2 cents!!

whelen light.jpg

15. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

Forgot to add.....I am going to get the Whelen with a clear dome and one white and one amber dome on the strobes.

16. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Those are both nice looking mini bars, I don't think either of you can go wrong.

17. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Be care full with the white strobe it might be illegal where you live to have one.

18. ultimate plow

from N. IL

dude, a 2 rotator mini light bar isnt going to kill your battery. Your really only saving like an amp or two. Go with the 2 rotator mini highlighter bar. You will like it. It is plenty bright!

19. EEW

EEW Junior Member

Guardian G2M-Amber

Take a look at the Whelen - Guardian G2M-Amber

Strobes N'More
    57-C Shore Road
    Westerly, RI
    Phone 401-348-0141
    www.Strobesnmore.com

Price was $110.99 with shipping

It is a beautiful light. Two rotating strobes - Magnetic - Very Bright -Plugs into you cig lighter or you can cut the cord and tie into your strobe switch.

20. Stik208

Seeing that this is a permanent mount, are these the type of lights that are run through the 3rd brake light so that there is no drilling into the roof?
    Jason