1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What length plow to get??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NYH1, Jun 16, 2015.

1. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

I'm getting a new work/plow truck in a few weeks. A new 2015 Ram 2500 4x4. My current plow truck in my 2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Short Box that's in my sig. I have a Fisher SD 7.5' plow on it (I'm keeping the truck and plow as is). My '07 1500 has actually worked quite well the last 2 seasons. However, I'm gaining more and more customers so I figured I might as well step up to the 2500 and a heavier duty plow.

Now here is the hard part. I'm getting Fishers new HD2 plow. I'm not sure if I should go with a 8' or an 8.5' plow. My dealer is kind of steering me towards the 8' plow. I plow mostly driveways, mostly singles with some doubles and a few small lots.

Would having a plow that's 1 foot wider (6 inches on each side) then the one I have now make that much of a difference? What do you guys/gals recommend?

Thanks, NYH1.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

8 foot and the get wings.
    Why not the xls?

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

X2 on that. If you're going with an 8' might as well go with something that can be 10' if needed

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Bigger is better 90% of the time. Only you know the details of ur current list.

With that being said, the xls gives the best of both worlds and then some.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

A 8.5 V allows for getting into most places, relocate snow, etc... If you find yourself getting into bigger work you can add wings when the time comes.

6. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Do your research on width of new truck and width of plow at full angle. Don't learn the hard way that the 8' might not be wide enough at full angle. My Silverado 2500 I had to get a 8.5 xv2 if I went any smaller on the blade I would be riding on the mound.

7. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

I want to stick with a regular straight blade plow.

Ram's body builders guide says my truck is 6 ft. 7.4 in. (79.4 inches) wide, not including the mirrors.

Fisher says their HD2 8 ft. plow is 7 ft. 2 in. wide at full angle and their HD2 8.5 ft. is 7 ft. 7 in. wide at full angle. So either will fit.

I think I'm going to go by some of my driveways that are on the narrow side and take a really good look. Then go from there.

Thanks, NYH1.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's wrong with an xls or V ?

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

you don't need to get fancy and go wings or Vee but I suggest the 8.5' blade. Will keep your mirrors out of the bushes, let you clean closer while keeping your truck a safe distance. I have customers doing drives with 9 foot blades very successfully. I drive the same truck you have and while if has decent turning Nimble is not a word I'd use to describe it. Much easier and quicker with a larger blade.

10. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

what's the difference in price for the extra foot?

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I find doing driveways with my V blade easier then a straight blade. More control over the snow and less run off trails when back dragging if you leave the wings retracted a little bit so it's scooping the snow in reverse.

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You should absolutely get an expandable plow such as the Western Wideout, Fisher XLS or SnowEx 8'10" Power Plow. They are so much more versatile than a regular straight blade. Don't be deterred from them because you're doing drives. I've done a ton of driveways with my Blizzard 8611LP. On light fluffy snows it's priceless to be able to backdrage 11' wide with a heavy blade. Don't know why guys are buying plain straight blades anymore. Yes, it will cost more, but you'll get done faster.

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

It's not always about length, width matters also

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Sooooo "Tuna Can" is one of your alias's.......

15. mike ward

mike ward Member

I won't buy another straight blade for a F350 and Up. We run western and like the wide-out. I would not ever want to plow with a straight blade again.

16. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

Nothing at all.

My dealer told me I can't angle the plow while back blading with a V plow. That won't work for me.

I don't want a XLS plow.

So I'm going to stay with a straight blade.

NYH1.

17. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

Not enough to make a difference.

NYH1.

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You can't angle it per say but you can move the wings around.

19. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Straight blade equals WRONG. Straight blades are the worst available option left.

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I still prefer a straight blade over a shovel or walk behind snow blower...