1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What LD Plow to get? How to Plow this Driveway?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jettix2, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

Hey guys;

I am looking for a plow for my '06 Tundra DoubleCab 4WD and some advice as to how to plow this driveway.

I live in Northern Michigan, and get LOTS of blowing/drifting snow at my house.

I have a 100' concrete-paved driveway, with a single-car turn-around that I need to plow. I also have a very small 50'x50' asphalt-paved parking pad here at my shop that I will plow. Both jobs should be SUPER easy.

I am not sure how I should plow the driveway......Please see the diagram of my driveway, the tree with the X in it can be removed, if need be. The camper can be plowed-in, I do not care. The driveway is 100' long.

Do I even NEED a plow that has power side-to-side adjustment????

I obviously don't need a HD commercial plow for this application. I plan to use this setup for 6 or 7 years. I DO NOT want to have to upgrade the front suspension on this truck, and YES I have to drive the truck to work and back every day with the plow on the truck (6 miles each way). I can deal with SOME sag, but nothing excessive (or damaging to the truck).

I am considering a new Snobear personal plow ( approx $1,200 ) though I would be willing to spend a little more money to get something that would last me longer/better suit my needs/have better re-sale value down the road, if that is the case. Problem is, the next step up is into a "real" plow that is at least $3,000+ brand new.

I would certainly consider a nice USED plow (I dont need it until next year), though I dont want something that will be a POS :)

Are the SnoWay (w/ DP), Suburbanity/Homesteader by Meyer/Fisher, Curtis, etc etc going to require suspension mods to the truck to prevent excessive sag, or not? Some of these are only 250-300 lbs, plus vehicle mount........

Any thoughts would be appreciated...............(and no, I'm not interested in buying a beater 4WD plow truck, because I need to drive this to work and back every day

Thanks! Ben

Attached Files:

2. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

I would look for a USED poly Sno away for your truck 7.5 foot should do you or spend your money on a NEW 2 stage snow thrower my .02 cents:waving:
    JOSH

3. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

I already have a nice 2-stage snow thrower, but we live on a blind hill, and I'm a bit concerened about getting run over, snowblowing by the street. I have more protection if I get hit in the truck:) Plus, snowblowing sucks when it's +5 degrees out with blowing snow;)

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

do you need all year access to the camper? also, how big are those tree/bush things ( im guessing thats what they are)

5. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

Bury the camper, I dont need it until spring:)))

The trees in the yard are APPLE trees, about 10 feet high.

The row by the street are 75+ foot tall Poplar trees.

Ben

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher 7.5 Light Duty Plow MM 2

$3400 from CPW (sponsor of this site and a good company)

The reason I would recommend this plow is for the Minute Mount2 system. Its very easy to put on and take off. When off you don't have tons of structure hanging off the vehicle so going to work is no prob. The plow is just below commercial grade but way better than the basic junk, so it will last you a long time. Fisher has very good resale.

I would add ProWings and a Backdrag Edge --see my signature line link.

Here is how I would plow your house:

Attached Files:

7. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

JETTIX
    Check the thread about 07 chevy tahoe pics light duty Snow away plow. it is right below your thread.
    JOSH

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

This looks good to me. On large snowfalls or wet ones I would do 5,6 and 7 first even if I had to do it twice. I would try not to drive over the snow and pack it in. Just my .02

9. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Grn Mtn, that's exactly the method I'd use to plow that driveway. Good Post.

10. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed with the plowing methods & use of Fisher MM2. The other option might be (as mentioned) to push all snow out of the driveway, then back into the yard (not pushing across the street) to avoid driving over unplowed areas. Then finish up 8,9,10. And the Fisher LD ought to be just right for that truck, not sagging the front like a RD would, so travel with this truck would be fine. Most of us who use plow trucks for personal vehicles or errand trucks too will take plows off between plowings, and the Fisher is great for that.

Good luck!

~Kevin

11. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

All excellent information, THANK YOU Grn Mtn for the diagram, very helpful. I wondered about back-dragging away from the garage and then plowing it over by the camper..........

As it is, I always back the truck into the garage, so I have the ability to plow it out of the driveway (though I cannot plow it into the street).

What is the name of CPW ??

Thanks, Ben

12. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Lines 6 and 7 seem a little crocked when they should be straight, or is does it mean take a sip of coffee at that point? :)

13. Grn Mtn

My concern is his comment about the blind hillcrest, pushing it into the street, turning around and pushing back into the yard might cause an accident in that short time. Because of this I would concider getting a warning beacon to put on the top of the truck that plugs into your cigar lighter. This way people comming might see it reflecting off the trees before cresting the hill.

Thanks guys for the positive remarks.

14. Grn Mtn

Central Parts Warehouse has a link button on the top of your screen.

If you are in the garage you can plow it quite different and safer. come pushing out of the garage and turn into the lawn down by the popular trees, pretend the street is the garage and backdrag by the road and push into the lawn, then push the turn around as noted earlier.

15. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

Yes, the driveway is about 150 feet from the crest of the hill........unmarked rural road, so cars are going anywhere 50+mph ......................

Just pulling out of the driveway can be scary, let alone standing out there with a snowblower.

As it is, I snowblow ONLY at night (so I can see the headlights of cars coming up the hill), and I park my truck out on the shoulder of the road, running, with lights on, so that people can see it as they crest the hill, and they give me space. It's pretty stupid, I need to just get a plow before I get run over;)

16. Grn Mtn

LOL , no thats what happens when you answer the cell while sipping coffee, shifting into 2nd and scratching yer nuts:D

17. plowinzr2

plowinzr2 Senior Member

if ur only doing ur driveway the homesteader from fisher wouldnt be a bad idea. its lightweight so u dont need to upgrade ur suspension and its probably alot cheaper than the minute mount. ive got an s10 but i use the minute mount because i do commercial plowing.

18. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

Thanks guys for all the helpful comments.

I will check CPW and also watch for a nice, used plow.

If it ends up that I cannot find a decent plow for $2000 or less, would I be stupid to buy a Snowbear???

Ie, my dad always taught me to buy the right tools for the job, which is why I skip "consumer line" Black and Decker, and buy Dewalt/Bosch/Makita power tools.......... I KNOW I can plow my driveway with a Snowbear, just wondering if it will fall apart 5 years down the road (I know it wont be worth squat, for sure, after I take it out of the box!!), or if you think I'll find a need for power side-to-side adjust on the plow (I dont THINK I need it, but ya never know).

Ben

19. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

The absolute cheapest REAL plow I've found is a Blizzard, at $3099 not installed, and I dont like it because the lights stay on the truck.

My question is more basic............get by with a new SnowBear, or buy a USED plow? How much plow can you get for $2000-ish, including vehicle mount???

Ben

20. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I knew you had it all planned out like that. Smart fellow.