1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kinds of permits/licenses do you have to get?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Lad, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Curious to know what other cities/states/townships require to get snow plow permits.

Around here most places require that you register with the Police department. Give them the vehicle make/model/VIN/license plate and $5.00 and you're on your way.

One city charges $25.00 per truck and wants the driver's information too - I'm assuming to cross check tax records for their fair share.

Any other ridulous requirements out there? I'm sure there are - so I'd love to hear them to make me feel better about not being in your shoes!

Separate thought... do salt trucks qualify for snow plowing/removing? They don't need permits - do they?

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

No permits needed here.

Contactors & municipalities require proof of insurance when subbing, that's it.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Here all you need is a flashing light permit, which is like $11 that the police chief signs off on. Im sure most people dont even have them, but its not worth the risk if you get in an accident and dont have the permit.

4. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

No Permits down here Lawn Lad

:D I hope they don't think about it as they have permits for just about everything else ;) . Don't have to pay local taxes as 90% is done in Townships. with no Taxes ;) .

5. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

No permits needed up here. But most large organizations, school boards, etc require proof of a safety program in place, and of course Worker's Compensation registration.

Bill

6. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

no permits here yet just usual ins. requirments.

7. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

No license or permit required here. Commercial General Liability is not required either but it is a must. Can't take a risk without it. Many guys around here don't carry insurance. :eek: Oh well it is not my problem.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No license or permit - just a plow and something to put it on. Supposed to have a warning beacon when plowing public areas. No permit or fee involved - just a fine for not having one.