1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kinda LEDs for a skid steer?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I saw these... http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Whelen-400-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414ace961c

Some double stacked Whelen LEDs but, im sure theyre really not meant to sit out in the elements on a skid steer.

I was thinking of something that you could easily see behind the machine and a set aimed forward mounted on the cab up top, on the sides or even under the loader lift arms or something...

Where could they go? What LEDs would be meant for this type of application?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Premier

Premier Senior Member

we put some whelen lin4's on our loader, they are small but bright as hell, put the double bracket on the back, have the clears installed, next month i hope to add the ambers, we have a single in the front just above the wiper motor

deer 328 2.jpg

deer 328 4.jpg

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Northern Tool has the best deal on them.

4. Deco

Deco Senior Member

5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Personally for a skid-steer, unless you have height issues, I would just go with a strong bright beacon on top.

6. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I have some story's about that, I dont care for them on the top, had that on my last loader, the problem is you never know what your height requirements will be, maybe its me, but we seem to get a few jobs every year that there is something bruching on the roof of the loader, mostly tree branches, but those lens covers get expensive, tried one with a magnet never broke the lens cover but it seemed it was always getting knocked off and that just gets anoying. imo i would stay away from a bar accross the top...

7. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

My buddy mounted his on the cab with magnets and has a quick disconnect plug to take it off when it sits at the property. He only uses the light in the winter.

8. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Otherwise go with the small 3 led lightheads. I know everyone says whelen whelen whelen, but federal signal makes just as good probably better. Go with the linear style too

9. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

We use magentic mount. Not to sound like an ass or anything, but for us we can normally look at a job and see if branches, or other things will be in the way, and just pull the light off the roof (magnetic with a quick connect that we have never had to disconnect) and put it on the back of the cab for the job. Sometimes we forget but I've never broken a lens and rarely not seen a large enough branch or object that would be able to knock the light off. I'm not talking a bar, Just a standard round Beacon light. Guess it all depends on what you do, but a Roof beacon can be seen all around with one light.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Magnet beacon works great for me.
    Gotta be smarter then the light sometimes.....lol

11. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Lol right after reading that i thought of Stewie! (then i saw your "icon")

But We use these Cheap(in price) little beacons from Northerntool On the skids the magnet is really strong then if you pull of the tape on the bottom of it its self-adhesive + your using the magnet still! Mine has never come off!
    Also if u want a beacon that will stay on, get one with holes for screws (like mine/seen in pic) we didnt drill in ours though!

PS: NEVER GET THE ROTATING ONE SOOOOO ANNOYING (lol just my 2 cent)

[​IMG]

12. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

we always use regular magnetic mounts on our skids and never seem to have a problem, iv been thinking of putting some in the headlights and back-ups but not sure if that will happen this year