1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind or brand snow plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by fallcreek, May 30, 2010.

1. fallcreek

fallcreek Junior Member
    from TN

Looking for some advise

I have a 03 F350 SRW 4x4 7.3 diesel with factory snow plow option

My question is that I'm looking for a good cheap snow plow for 4 driveways and maybe 1 lot. It does not snow alot here in east TN. Actually we had our first good snow fall in about 3-4yrs this year and it was 8" the other two snow falls were 2-4". So I can't really justify spending 6k on a meyer or western. Are there any that could fit my need ?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Boss 8.2 v plow!

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should buy a 9' Fisher Minute Mount 2 or a 9' Boss IMO.

4. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

I think a use 8'6" straight blade would suit your needs.

5. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

First off, you can't justify spending 6k on a Meyer. Can't justify spending 1k!! With that said Western, Boss or Fisher would suit you just fine. Get at least an 8 footer.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

IMO the best thing in your situation would be a used Snoway 8 foot poly unit. They are easy on your already heavily loaded front axle are fast and efficient and a used unit in good shape can be found at prices ranging from 1 to 4K depending on age, condition, and vehicle compatibility. Beyond that you can find used units in that same price range from any manufacturer.

7. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Look at snow dogg, you can probably get one brand new for what alot of used name brand plows will go for...plus you will get warranty

8. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

I agree the Snowdogg line is pretty good for what it is,,,,and cheap to boot.

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

A snowbear is your best bet. Cheap, simple, and super light. For the amount you'll be working it, its all you need in TN.

10. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Best answer!

But I'd go with the 9'2"

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

This is true:nod:

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I can't imagine a SnowBear holding up to well on a F350 w/7.3.

As little as you will use the plow, price is probably your biggest concern. If you were plowing 18+ hours a storm 20+ storms a year; features, convenience, quality become much more important. Find a reasonably popular brand you cant get parts for easily.

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Sure it can as long as you don't slamb into snowbanks with it. I used mine in 18"+ storms after the storms were over. I was amazed at what the little plow did. For the little amount he'll use it and the little amount of snow, its perfect. Just some small truck side brackets and a positive and negative hookup and he's done. Total weight is about 300lbs if I remember right. Truck won't know its there.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

IMO that's the problem. It takes careful operation to keep something of that design intact when there is that much mass available to use against it. Particularly under the demands of commercial operation.