1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what kind of winter?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Snow, Nov 8, 2003.

what kind of winter will it be?

1. Below average snowfall

6 vote(s)
  2. Average snowfall

21 vote(s)
  3. Above average snowfall

32 vote(s)
  1. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

and why?

i say a follow up like last year (at leas here in the northeast)

supposedly a cold october and november mean lots of snow. it's 27 degrees out right now!
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I heard average in the northeast,something to do with the present snowcover in Iceland or Greenland(one or the other)It is minimal there which tends to lean towards warmer temps here for early winter.I heard it on the news from a professional weather guesser,you know,one of those guys we will be cursing at this winter when they call for the "big one" and it never comes:D
  3. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

Above Average

I was scanning some weather stats, and every time we had a dry summer, we had a bunch of snow. Bring on the SNOW!!!

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

lets think positive

i hope the weather forcast is for below normal snow

because that means well get lotsssssss

5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

We have had tons of rain here and lately(this weekend being the exception)it has been very warm. we even got near 80 last week.I'm getting second thoughts and think it may just be a normal new england winter instead of a slightly above average.
  6. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I like to hope for the best.:D
  7. zipp5

zipp5 Junior Member

I am hoping for ALOT OF SNOW:D . I have heard that this year we are in a no name weather pattern for the winter. Not El Nina or La Nina, two others that I cannot remember their names. Happens once in a very long time (50 - 75 - 100 years). "They" say that that is the reason for the abnormal conditions across the U.S.. but what do I know. How's the Christmas song go...... Let it snow Let it snow.....Let it snow :D
  8. yako

yako Member

well the farmers almanac is right so far so i have to stick with it and say it is going to be a long cold winter with above average december februrary and march for snowfall. theres a low of 17 degrees here tonight and theyre calling for some snow on weds. so im keeping my fingers crossed.
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i hope it snows a ton in the north east im in CT does anyone know what the perdictions are for this year :jester:
  10. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

the only forecast I've heard and believe is that it will be dark at night, less dark during the day...............:drinkup:
  11. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

normal amount here i think because its just not cold yet last year we already had snow and it was a heavy season so i vote normal amount
  12. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Off the NOAA site.......Nov. 6, 2003 — The world may soon be getting an early holiday gift. Scientists at NOAA are observing oceanic telltale signs the climate phenomenon known as El Niño may be back in a weak form just in time for the holidays......"Based on the sea surface temperature observations for September, October, and those projected for the rest of November, as well as the NOAA definition for El Niño events, there is an above average likelihood sea-surface temperature conditions will be characterized as a weak or borderline El Niño by the end of November" ....However, (at this time), CPC does not anticipate major impacts from this event on U.S. winter weather.
  13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

so ur saying a crappy winter:realmad:
  14. dpm64

dpm64 Junior Member

It will be all my fault

Sorry, but I've got a solid gold lock on this winter's weather:

And how, you may wonder, can he be so sure? Because I just bought a plow tonight!. Or as I like to think of it - anti-snow insurance. Well, let me modify that slightly. Lot's o' snow for the next week, while I'm waiting to get it installed. Then - squat!

Now you may doubt me, but bear this in mind - a year ago, I predicted that 2003 would have a very rainy spring and summer. Why? Because I was trying to build a house. Still am - didn't even get started until May because the site was still sopping wet. Every stage of construction has been painfully drawn out because of the weather. Outside work is starting to wrap up now, so it's about time for the sun to shine again.

So, I'm sorry in advance. It's all my fault...
  15. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

I heard this is going to be the worst winter ever :D and your customers are all paying cash when your finish, no bills no nothingpayup oh yeah no break downs either:bday:
  16. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I voted for above average. Reason? We've had 2 horrible winters in a row. Mother Nature owes us some dang snow.
  17. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

Here in Washington state, it already snowed somewhat in October. This is on the west side of the mountains. That's so rare here! Not only snow, but in Oct. Granted, it didn't snow a foot, but it snowed. They say this year is a neutral winter, no la nina, or el nino. El nino's push systems to the south of us. La nina's push systems to the north. Neutrals, right at us! Typically, here, when a neutral winter is in effect, we get the bad windstorms and snow storms. Every time we got a foot or more of snow, it was a neutral (I believe :rolleyes: ). I think it will be a good one. I'm a skier, I hope for the best!