1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of Western Pump you use Cable or Electrical? (POLL)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by xgiovannix12, Dec 26, 2012.

?

What kind of Western Pump you use or prefer Cable or Electrical?

1. Western Cable

40.0%
  2. Western Electrical

53.3%
  3. Other Brand Cable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other Brand Electrical

13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of Western Pump you use or prefer Cable or Electrical? title says it all :mechanic:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Electric there faster than cable

3. xgiovannix12

indeed Just curious what people like to use.

4. mattpiotrowski

mattpiotrowski Junior Member

First One for me. Its a Cable on my 86 GMC 2500. My Father has a unimount on his 03 2500HD

5. xgiovannix12

~~~~Bump~~~~

6. daman

daman Member

Electric here...

buddy had an old T handle cable and your hand was dead at the end of the day,what a POS.

7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

the old T handle cable setup was a lot of work to operate. but the joystick cable controller is a huge improvement.

i have 2 trucks, both with westerns - 1 with a joystick cable control, and 1 with a unimount electric joystick control. i much perfer the cable joystick.

8. daman

daman Member

Really? why would that be?

9. xgiovannix12

I use a cable.. I wanna convert to an electric but cant afford it. :D

10. linckeil

from CT

both are reliable setups, but the cable control has never let me down. i am good about routine and preventative maintainace on all my equipment, but coils and valves on the electric control units can go without warning - new or old. on the cable control, the cable will begin to stretch giving you notice that its on its way out. there is less to go wrong, and if something does, it's typically a quicker and easier fix than on a electric control unit.

plus i much perfer the feel of the cable joystick in my hand.

but western hasn't made a cable control plow pump since the early 90s, so all the cable control stuff out there is at least 20 years old. the fact that a lot of guys still run them is a testament to how good of a design it is.

Attached Files:

11. daman

daman Member

I guess to each is his own but if your in the bizz and running a certain type equipment one should know how to repair it, coils and valves on the electric control plows are not hard to work on,better for driver fatigue too at least from my view point of using both.

12. xgiovannix12

Cable works well . I just like the electric because I can pull my light bar off with the pump within a few mins.

I dont mind keeping the pump and light bar on the truck over the summer. but it would be nice to remove em. :p

13. linckeil

from CT

i know how to repair both units - i've done complete rebuilds on both units in the past. but if you have the choice to run a setup that you feel is more reliable and easier to fix in the event something should go wrong, what would you choose?

you had asked why i perfer the cable control, and i gave my answer based on facts and on many, many years of experience in running both setups being discussed here.

and i don't know if you are new to the business or have any buddies in the business, but you'd be very surprised at the number of guys who don't know where to begin when something goes wrong. what is a simple, obvoius fix to me, may be the end of the route for someone else. people assume newer is better and will be less prone to breakdowns. there is some truth in that, but i'll take my well maintained cable control plow over any new straight blade setup. again, to each his own....

14. daman

daman Member

If you like cable have at it,i was just curious as to why because over here no one runs cable anymore just old technology,plus i prefer electric and unimount plows,cleaner looking truck when plow is off.

as i said above its my experience from operating both, i don't miss playing around and adjusting cables anymore when its 20 deg out side,lastly i know what you mean about guys not knowing how to fix,my phone rings all the time here in the winter season.

oh and yea been in the biz for a year or two. ;)

let it snow! Thumbs Up

15. xgiovannix12

I agree. I would prefer the electrical system for a cleaner look. But I like the cable also because it works good and that's what I have. Out of the 3 plow setups I had were all cable.

We all need to start somewhere right? Maybe someday Ill buy an electrical pump :drinkup:

16. daman

daman Member

Yep if it works i guess thats all that matters,i wasn't slamming cable just stating MO is all.

17. xgiovannix12

yep I understand. from what I hear electric is faster too right?

18. daman

daman Member

I think speed is about the same? electric is under 4sec from swing to swing. I do remember the cable being respectively speedy but that was many years ago. It all depends on fluid viscosity motor condition/amps/pump, etc,etc when speed comes to play.

mine works extremely well,bounces the truck on upstroke stop.

19. linckeil

from CT

my cables are adjusted once at the beginning of each season - many times it's not even necesary. certainly not something i play around with in 20 degree weather, it sucks that this was your expeirence with the cable controlled unit. unfortunately i hear that a lot from guys who run (or used to run) the cable controlled units. they also talk about cables breaking or stiffening up, then i see they try to make three tight 90 degree bends betweeen the controller and the pump and they wonder why they have problems...:dizzy:

but the general perception out there is that cables suck and thats just not the case. but let people think they suck all they want - that keeps the used parts nice and cheap, which is great for me and guys that know how to use them. Thumbs Up

it is old technology, and thats fine by me. many would consider a unimount to be old technology as western hasn't made it in many, many years. the same is true for the 14 year old truck in your signature.

not to get off topic here - but a snowplowing example to illustrate my point - why do guys remove their auto locking hubs from their new trucks and put on manual hubs? manual hubs have been around pretty much since the advent of 4 wheel drive. very old technology indeed, yet many years later people are removing the technologically advanced auto hubs and putting this old, manual technology on their truck? what about the driver fatigue of getting out of the truck and turning the hub as opposed to staying in the warm cab and pushing a button on the dash? same goes for the guys who won't buy a plow truck with a 4wd push button - many want a manual gearshift lever. in many cases, a mechnical connection is simplier and more reliable than an electronic connection.

don't get me wrong, i am not knocking technology - its a great thing. and the western electronically controlled pumps are great as i said earlier (although they have been around for 20 years now and are hardly cutting edge technology). this thread is about what you perfer, and my answer is cable control for the all the reasons i stated here and then some. again, my opinion based on years of experience with each.

20. linckeil

from CT

cable and electronic control are both the same speed (or should be if functioning properly) 4 seconds full angle to full angle (as mentioned), and 2 seconds up.