1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what kind of welder?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ferrisdiesel, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Ferrisdiesel

Ferrisdiesel Member

Hey guys,
    In the past couple of years I have learned how to weld with my grandfathers old Lincoln stick welder. I have gotten pretty good at it, and I want to buy a welder of my own. Everyone I talk to says that mig welding is the way to go......I would love to get a mig welder, but im not sure what size to get. I would be using it to weld up the plow and the log splitter, nothing more than 1/2 inch???

My question to all the welders out there:

What size welder do I need for this?

Can I use a mig for this? Do I need gas for this or would flex core wire be ok?

I'm just not sure what to get, any help would be great
  2. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I'm no welder but, I have a Hobart 180 handler and I love it, does everything I ask it to do. I use the gas, get the large bottle so you don't have to refill it all the time.
    The new version is a 185 Handler I believe, the price is right, they will sell you what ever size tank you want, just trade it in when empty and pay for the gas. I do business with Tractor supply.
    I also learned to weld on a buzz box and thank god I don't ever have to use it again! LOL
    good luck!
  3. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I'm no welder either, but every trade welder that I know uses stick or tig, not a mig.
  4. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Stick is great for big welds. Mig is much easier to use IMO. Mig isn't going to blast out a 1/2" weld easily though. When you get into bigger jobs like that you shouldn't be running big passes anyways. Instead you should be running a series of smaller passes. Aside from the different techniques each has they have different uses. Stick is good cause you can get different sticks for different materials. Mig will give a much more precise weld with less work, but does not have the capacity for heavier work. Tig is just a whole different animal. That is good for super precise work and properly done requires little afterwork.

With any welder you need to look at your job and the power supply. Do you have 240v at your station? Do you need it to be portable?

If you are only welding plows and log splitters a stick should be fine. If you want to weld tubing or sheet metal a mig would be better.

I have access to a medium-large stick, a hobart 140, and a 240v lincoln. By far the most used is my hobart. It is also the only machine that I can take to the equipment instead of the other way around, which is important.