1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what kind of trucks do companies want for subs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike9497, Dec 16, 2002.

1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

just wondering what is the smallest and oldest they will take.what type of plows they like.i have a 97 f250 LD with a 7.5 western and a 99 F350 dump no plow on that one yet.would they take a f250 LD?? i like plowing with that truck does a good job.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2002

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Thats going to vary alot, but for us it has more to do with the person driving as opposed to what they are driving. That being said, I'm looking for at least 7.5 and a dependable truck for our accounts.
  3. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

The same with us, it is not important what they drive, but how they plow. We would like at least a 7.5, and definatley someone reliable. I can't tell you how many guys I've been thru in the last 4 years that will work great for a few storms, then it is like what the .....

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

The older the better,but size does matter

As long as the truck has been properly prepped and maintained,i'll take a sub with an older truck anyday.We have had a few nightmares with subs down waiting for parts.The older trucks you can find parts anywhere,heck,you can even make some of them they are so simple.73-87 chev\gmc's are preffered.

A 7.5 foot blade is a little small,unless you doing really small stuff.Size does matter.Bigger blade is more effecient,and pays more too.

But number one would be the driver himself.Some guys can just get it done,no matter what they are driving.