1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of truck to buy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Green Boys Lawn, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Green Boys Lawn

Green Boys Lawn Junior Member

I'm new to this. I have picked up a bank job, and promised to do the snow-plowing to get the job. The parking lot is not very big (1/4 acre). I also have a church (with a good size parking lot - maybe an acre) that is interested in snow removal. The truck I have been using for lawncare is only 2 wheel drive and gets bad gas mileage. So, I need to buy a truck before next winter. And, with gas prices I wouldn't mind buying a truck sooner that gets better gas mileage for the lawncare. Obviously, I would like to get a 1/2 ton for the gas mileage for the lawncare. But, is the 1/2 ton going to be good enough for the snow removal. I live in Kansas, and we've only been getting a couple 4-6" snows per winter, but harder winters and bigger snows are always a possibility, so I need something that can handle it if we get a foot or more. What do you guys think? I was looking around on the internet, and it looks like you take a pretty big hit in gas mileage when going from a 1/2 ton to 3/4 or 1 ton. Is this really the case in your experience? Thanks
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

personally i think a 3/4 is best for plowin lots like that, small to get into tight spots and such, good visability from it but has the power to push an 8' plow and have a spreader in it. however, i think a 1/2 ton would work but you may want to check and see if putting a plow on it will void your frame warranty. But if you are getting a used 1/2 ton with no warranty left on it with four wheel drive, then that might work if you are really worried about gas mileage. But, i think a 3/4 ton is a good truck for plowing, just my .02
  3. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I would opt for the 3/4 ton also. I had a 02 F150 4x4 and just didn't like the idea of putting a plow on it and pushing all that snow.

So, I went with a 04 F250 4x4 and I don't regret it one bit. I love the truck. The gas mileage isn't too bad, but the 150 was still better. But in either case, let us know what you decide.
  4. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

I'm not sure if the MDS system is in the 2500 HEMI's yet, but if it is I would go that route if you're concerned about gas mileage...it cuts out 4 of the cylinders when they are not needed. I don't know about the fullsize trucks but our '05 Jeep with the HEMI is seeing the same gas mileage as our old '01 Jeep that had the 4.7L in it...around 15-16 highway.
  5. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i plow with an s10 u just have to plow with the strom...but u could get away with a 1/2 ton with no real problems...but every one will tell u to get at least a 3/4 ton with an 8 footer...u can put a 7'6'' on a a chevy 2500 but not on a f250....also what are u using the truck for when not plowing??
  6. jbone

jbone Senior Member

keep in mind even though gas mileage is important you should take the cost of gas into account when pricing jobs. If the cost of gas goes up so do the prices. Plowing lots like those with a 3/4ton will be much easier and faster considering you can usually put a larger plow on the 3/4 ton and a sander/salter. The more snow you can plow with each pass = less passes = less gas used. just my opinion though.
  7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i think if i were you i would sub the jobs out. you would have only logged in about 5 hours total on thoes lots last year ( we only had 8 inches of snow). would not have even paid you for your hours. let alone equiptment cost. you need to find a company like mine to call that would charge you $50 per hour while you bill the customer $100-$200 per push. you could put $50 to $150 in your pocket each snow while you stay in bed and play with your wife.