1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by martyman, Mar 11, 2001.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I have been using a Jeep with a four cylinder with a five speed to do 40 residential and I have done alright but next year my brother-in-law suggested that I get a diesel and do some commercial also. I'm not crazy about commercial and I'm not sure about buying used trucks that have probabily been used for plowing before. I would like to know what kind of truck that is reliable that is smaller than a 3/4 ton.

Marty and thanks..
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

The trouble is it is hard to find a good plow truck that is smaller than a 3/4 ton. There isn't much of a difference in size between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton truck. The 3/4 ton will be a better plow truck.

We use F 250 HD's or F 350 regular cabs to plow or residential drives.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I use a 3/4 ton chevy which is fine for big drive ways but for smallet a blazer would be better.
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

With the last storm we got 18" of heavy wet snow, and I needed every ounce of my 15000# K-3500 with the v plow to get through. Even tho it was murder to manuever at times, I never regretted having my big truck.
  5. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I use a 96 dodge 1500 extra-cab with 7.5 boss plow and 7.5 daniels pull plow. It turns on a dime but I wish it was a reg cab to get in the tight spots better.I also use my 1 ton drw in some drives .

[Edited by slplow on 03-11-2001 at 07:16 PM]
  6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going to cry when our two old style S-10s head for the boneyard. Occasionally they are a bit light if the snow is running to being "packy", but in general I think they just might make the ideal residential plow truck. I'm leaning towards getting more commercial work next season, so one S may go down the road to be replaced by a 3/4 or 1 ton with a vee plow, but that is more a reflection on needing the vee rather than on the shortcomings of the S as a plow truck. We just came off the third largest snowfall on record up here and lost (tranny calved) our K2500/9'1" vee and spreader box right at the start of the storm. Handicapped us but did not stop us, the S trucks had to work hard but did the job.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

We run some 1/2 ton fords with short box and reg cab, makes for a sweet driveway truck.

Really popular around here are the late 80's Dodge shortbox 1/2 tons with front and rear plows.

I would like to set up a 1/2 ton Ford shortbox with a 7.5 Boss V and a rear blade. Nice tight turning radius and the V would be a real timesaver.
  8. martyman

martyman Senior Member

Thanks guys I was told not to use 1/2 ton because it is not tough enough, but I use a Jeep with a 4 cylinder here in Canada and it has worked alright. I took my time in picking this Jeep and I made a mistake I won't do it again. I Know that I won't buy a $40 000 diesel f250..
  9. bdemir

bdemir Member

Jeeps are supposed to be good for residentails. What was the mistake with the jeep?

10. martyman

martyman Senior Member

The mistake was not looking for a six cylinder and not looking for one that was in better shape... Marty
  11. bdemir

bdemir Member

You should have read Chucks posts about jeeps. he talks about how 4 cylinders are too light and 6 is just right. ALso putting weight in the back really helps.

12. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

Driveway Truck

I use a 97 HD F250 regular cab with a 8 foot Western. I still think the perfect driveway plow was the 77 or older Bronco with a V-8 and a 6.5 plow. It has a 92 inch wheel base and would turn around quicker than any 4x4 I have seen. I sure miss the ones I had. :mad:
  13. martyman

martyman Senior Member

Re: Driveway Truck

I was considering an F250 until I went to the dealer and got he quote for a diesel that cost $40.000 canadian.. I think I might end up getting a 1995 0r newer Jeep so I can use my mount and wiring from my 1900...
  14. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

I've plowed residentials with everything from 3/4 Dodge's (1979), Jeep CJs, Ford F250s a Dodge 1500 (2000) and a Ford Ranger (89)with a manual 4 cylinder. The 1500 is about the best - real manueverable and quick. It'll plow anything. BUT we do still use the Ford Ranger on a lot of residentials when the snow is under 8". It's fast, small and really kicks butt but when the heavy snow comes - we gotta park it. The Jimmy might be nice, but check it over real good, I had heard stories of bad powertrain problems with them (I think in the mid eighties). Good luck!
  15. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I am using a 2000 F-150 with a snoway plow with down pressure. It works great for the amount of snow we get here.
  16. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I'm doing construction on the side on your side of town in-between plowing... the one thing about f150s being so new is the warranty going to voided because you plow with it? How much did you pay for your snoway if you don't mind me asking?
  17. GeoffD

Ford allows plowing with the F 150, if properly equiped. If it isn't properly equiped your warrenty may be voided.

18. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I think I paid 5200.00 installed. Cliffs in Oakville is where I got mine.

Geoff: What does the truck have to have to be properly equiped?
  19. GeoffD

The truck has to be the F 150 HD 7700 GVW (the old F 250 LD), to allow for commercial plowing. Do a search under F 150 there is tons of info on the subject. I posted a link to the exact requirements and other info straight from Ford.

Now I am going to open up a can of worms here. Ford doesn't recomened plowing with an F 150 LD (GVW's less than 7700 is the F 150 LD). However Fisher, Western, Meyer, Snow Way, all make plows for the F 150. Heck Snow way makes one for a Ranger. Now the plows they build for the Light Duty trucks are light duty in design and construction too. They will not take the use and abuse that there big brother's will withstand.

Now everyone says, plow with an F 150 LD and kiss you warrenty good bye. It isn't that simple. It is easier to void a warrenty for have a power chip in your truck's computer then it is for having a plow on your truck. Look at how many people have chips in there trucks, and still have warrenties.

Power chips when you add a chip a code 47 ( i think is the number) appears on the trucks OBD II system. This code can't be removed, unless you a Ford dealer. If you remove the chip, the code is still there. I have been told this my a Ford Mechanic.

Here is a perfect excample of why they can't void your warrenty. You install your plow, plow for 2 storms, and your trucks radio stops working. Is this related to plowing, no. You plow for 2 storms the motor blows and the trans blows. Related to plowing, yes. However if the truck is still in it's warrenty period ( under 36,000 miles or 3years) It is going to be pretty hard to blame these failures on plowing. Lets face it, trans and motors don't blow at 36K just from plowing. For a motor or trans to fail that early there must be some sort of desing defect.

However if you plow commercial with a light duty truck. I will bet money on it that things will break quicker than if you didn't plow or if you plowed with a heavier truck.

I honestly also think that if MR Jones home owner plows his and only his drive with his F 150 4X4, very little extra wear will occur on the truck.

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 03-13-2001 at 02:39 AM]