1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JD657757, Nov 10, 2008.

1. JD657757

JD657757 Junior Member

This year i plan on plowing with a 2 wheel drive 3500 dump DRW. This truck will be holding about 2 tons of salt. Is that enough weight to give me traction with standard tires or is there something better i can put on it.

2. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

all the weight does no good on ice. Dean Tires SXT-MT siped and studded is good for that. Its a 10 ply tire load range E. Good for the weight. Less weight get a Winter cat tire studded tire. I use both!!! SXT on my big truck. winter cat on plow only truck

3. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I would get the smallest E Range Rated Tires I could get for that truck. You will be okay on the small light storms. Anymore than 7" and my guess is, you will have your ass in your hands.

4. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

What size tires? Are these the 19.5 rims

5. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

We run the BFG Comm TA on our 2wd F450. They have 2 Comm TA patterns and the more aggressive works really well. We put them on the rear and more of a road pattern Comm TA on the front. Reasonably priced, and you can put studs in them if they are not enough. I am very pleased.

6. JD657757

JD657757 Junior Member

Yes it dose have 19.5 rims. I dont have to worry about the snow getting to high because this truck will be staying at a 5 acre lot that is open 24/7. Also it is a diesel I dont know if that matters though.

7. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Try the KUMHO Power Fleet 937's or the KRD02's they are great tires that I've had luck with.

8. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

My first truck plow was a 79 gmc 1 ton dump with 2 skids of salt in the bed. I plowed 96 blizzard and never got stuck. I got to pull a 4x4 dodge truck out of a snow bank though. I was on blacktop and no steep hills, had cooper tires didnt know size been to long.
    Hell most of our state road trucks are onle 2 wheel drive.
    mike