1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of tires?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PremierLand, Aug 1, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I did do a search, I only found 2 threads. Im sure this topic is beat to death, but I couldnt find anyother treads. Sorry if this is another one of those posts that happen 40x a year. Anyway, I need new tires, I have a 01 chevy 3/4ton. However im going to wait until october to get some new ones. But I want to get them picked out so I know what I want. Reason im going to wait, is because I haul ALOT of weight about each and every day, thus I dont want to waste tread on new tires from the added weight pushing down on the tires, thus making the tires hotter and wasting tread.

Like I said before, I did a search and came across people saying Cooper Discoverer M&S are really good, and so are BF Goodwrich All-terrains. I like the way the BF's look, but how do they compare to the coopers. and if neither are that good, what do you reccommend. Also, I had bf's on my ford, and they rubbed. I do not want to be rubbing the wheel well or frame with the tires on this rig. So with that said, what tires are good for plowing and what size should I get so im not rubbing?

Thanks guys!

-Mark

2. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

if your looking for a good al year tire go with the all terains. but if you are trying to buy a dedicated set of snows you wont (in my opinion) find anything better than the Cooper discoverer M&S.

3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Mark, I'm running the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos on my '00 F-250. Superb tire, excellent wear, traction, etc. My next set will be the same.

4. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I'll be ordering the coopers for this winter. I did my research as well and since my current tires are new i don't need AT's. My current tires seem to have more of a high way tread.
    I was leaning towards Bridgestones Blizzacks but the coopers have me sold. Go to there web site...

5. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Just curious as to what size tire you would want to get if you were getting the Coopers. I have always had somewhat "thin" tires for the winter because I thought I wanted a tire that would cut right to the pavement. I'm not sure this is true. What do you think?

6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

yup tall and skinny is the way to go for a winter tire, for just that reason.

7. bnc services 2

bnc services 2 Member

i will have to agree those tires are great i put a set on my 95 tahoe and they were the best tires i ever bought. i plan on putting them on my 01 yukon and the 91 blazer im looking to get :redbounce

8. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Mark, I had Cooper ATRs on my 96 silverado and they were great plowing(all residential w/ drives up to 1/4 long and dirt). I plan on replacing my 05 GMC 2500hd tires with the same when it is time(prob next fall). The ATR's wont give you as much noise as the MT and prob as long as life. They are also a 10ply tire which you should get if you are towing or hauling because they wont flex as much. Make sure you get the steel tire stem though because the regular one dont cut it I was told.
    Thanks
    James

9. blublzr

blublzr Member

i like the cooper discoverer . if have the h/t on my truck, i have a silverado 1500 ext cab w/8ft bed. i do alot of highway driving and these tires have been great. i put them on my truck when it had 50000 miles on it and the truck has a 100000 miles on it now and they are still have probably another 10000/15000 left in them.

wil :)

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Size-235/85/R16 Load Range E
    I don't spend a lot on tires. I tend to jump a lot of curbs to push sidewalks.

11. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Michelin All the way...

I run Micheling LTX M/S 265's on my 2500HD and have had great success. They are quiet, look great and seem to wear forever. I have BF Goodrich All terrain 285's on the Suburban and am not as happy. They seem to make more noise and don't handle as well.

12. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

If you are on a budget the all terrains are great but if you want THE tire get cooper ATR's..Just snow cooper m/s...

13. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I love mine too! Much better than the BFG T/A KO's and cheaper too!

14. PremierLand

from detroit

I went to go get a price on coopers, and he tired selling me on some time called Sharpro or Charpro. something like that...

anyone heard of these?

15. PremierLand

from detroit

also, I currently have 245's. I want 265's. should I go with 245, are they that much better with snow?

16. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I'd go w/the 265's. The factory 245's are too small. I prefer Michelin over any other brand.

17. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Go with the coopers in 235/85/16. Tall and skinny for snow tire.

18. PremierLand

from detroit

I think im going to go with the Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO, I think im going to go with 265. I know 245's would be better, but I think the 265's will be the best of both worlds, looks and performance. where the 245's would only be the best of one world, performance

19. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

go with gooyear MT/R'S thaey are awesome in the snow. :waving:

20. Snow-B-Gone

Snow-B-Gone Junior Member
    from Maine

I'm putting the Coopers on my '01 Sierra Duramax.

A buddy of mine is the tire supervisor for the State DOT fleet.....these are the tires he runs on his 4x4's. He's had great luck and a great ride.