1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what kind of tires should I get

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chevyzrule810, Dec 18, 2012.

1. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Thinking about getting some new tires for my 2006 2500HD.I have a set of BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A on it now.I am thinking about getting some Firestone Transforce A/T because of the reviews I have seen.Anyone have a set of those or recommend any other tire?I don't tow a heavy trailer just plow in the winter.
  2. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

we've run many sets of transforce at and they are awesome. rotate them regularly and keep on eye on pressure, and 60k is no problem
  3. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I love the ones that came on my truck. On my 3rd year with them and they were on it when I bought it.
  4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

pneumatic rubber ones. round would be good too.
  5. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

The transforce are the worse tires I have ever plowed with but for every day driving there good.
  6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
  7. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

While I wouldn't say they are the worst tires to plow with, I'd put them up there as a "non-plowing" tire. If you don't plan on using them in the summer then its a waste of money. However, they are great tire, especially for pulling trailers. I have a set that is near bald, but has somewhere between 60-70k on them that I will try and get another summer out of.

Plain and simple they are a highway tire. If you have the $$$ just buy a set of factory or steel wheels and put a set of winter specific tires on, you'll be much happier plowing; I know I am...
  8. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

if ur not gunna run winter tires i would get some Mickey Thompson Terra grappler's. excellent aggressive pattern and are still going strong after three seasons
  9. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

bfgoodrich a/t k/o's
  10. matzke3

matzke3 Member

I read around here the last time I needed tires for our small truck (97 gmc 1/2t ext cab). Went from cooper st to the goodyear duratracs and its stopped all traction issue complaints from drivers.
  11. cameren_j

cameren_j Junior Member

Bf goodrich at ko's

When I started plowing back in 2005 i was using a 1989 suburban with the BF Goodrich AT KO's and they worked awesome the truck was almost unstoppable I have since bought a 1999 suburban and it had the firestone transforce tires on it they were alright but not great I have since put a set of the BF Goodrich AT KO's on and now this suburban is almost unstoppable in the snow I wouldnt run anything but those kind of tires. With all that being said if you do succeed at getting stuck with those BF's on you better have something large and powerful to get you out though cause they dig some good holes LOL.
  12. SMiller

SMiller Member
    from IN

Firestone Transforce A\T's are the longest lasting tire you will buy, they will spin plowing snow but the best all around\longest lasting tire you will buy.
  13. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

been using BFG all terrain t/a ko. never had an issue in the winter. only down side is the tread wears down fast. my last set only lasted about 40,000 miles give or take. all in all they are a good year round tire as long as you rotate.
  14. jtmonte

jtmonte Junior Member
    from ny

any love for cooper discoverers???
  15. RDWheeler

RDWheeler Junior Member

I just started running the Good Year Duratracs because I got a great deal, and they had a huge rebate. But I absolutely love them, my truck pushes some serious snow compared to trying with my bfg AT's that had about 20k on them. Just my .2 cents!!
  16. jtmonte

jtmonte Junior Member
    from ny

what tire size is best for a 16" rim??? i hear some say 265/75 some say 245/65 even had someone say 235/85
  17. daman

daman Member

I like staying with the stock size tire,doesnt kill your gearing. $.02
  18. SServices

SServices Senior Member

I just put new rubber on my 05 2500HD and put on General Grabber AT2's. I frickin love these tires. They have some serious grip and drive nice too. I'm curious to see how long they last.
  19. Dodge DeBoulet

Dodge DeBoulet Junior Member

I put Kumho 235/85R-16s on my '04 2500HD this year . . . Road Venture AT KL78s. So far, very impressed; those suckers grip on ice and snow like velcro. Fairly quiet on the highway, too.

They were quite a bit cheaper than the more "mainstream" brands. We'll see how well they last.
  20. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

It isn't hard to use a tire size calculator to figure out sizes that have the same diameter.

235/85-16 is the same diameter as 245/75-16, or close enough, and is reportedly a very effective size for plowing.