1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what kind of tailgate spreader do I get?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by readysnowplow, Nov 25, 2009.

1. readysnowplow

readysnowplow Senior Member

I am new to the industry (2yrs) and I have two F250 3/4 Tons running at all times. I need a spreader this year but I've heard horror stories about the snow-ex. Which spreader do you guys recommend that will handle at least a 3/4ton salt dump and wont cost me an arm and a leg. I need help soon! Snow is next week.
  2. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

I have been plowing for 36 years and have had great luck with SnowEx products. Their controllers are junk, however, they are under warranty for 3 years I think when they are new, so I sell mine every 3 years and get new ones. I bought 2 new swingaway mounts last year. They will make you a pile of $$$$$$$ !!!
  3. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Thats it.
  4. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

only thing ive ever ran is snow ex.. you just better have a back up spreader ill put it that way.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Read ALL the other posts on tailgate spreaders then you will get your answer.
  6. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

I just bought a Buyers (Salt Dawg actually) TGSUVPROA, I put it together and ran the harnesses, it seems to work well but it only holds 300 pounds. I ran through a 50 pound bag in ten seconds on half speed. Good spread though, a little heavy in the center but otherwise seems like it's going to work well. I just got it though, so it's really to early to tell.
  7. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I have had Meyer spreaders, Fischer and Snow Ex. For a tailgate I think the standard issue is a Snow Ex 1075. It uses a transmission which do go bad eventually. I do not like the spreaders with the motor in the hopper that use belts and bearings to get the work done. ie Snoway.