1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of shovels do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trustyrusty, Dec 7, 2010.

1. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

We have a certain type of plastic shovel that we really like because it pushes nice but yet you can scoop and throw with it. However, we go through a bunch every winter. I see the Snow Plow shovel advertised on here and it looks good but doesn't have any edges to keep snow contained side to side on the shovel. Does anyone use them, or what is everyone's preference and where do you buy them?

2. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I typically use a manual one lol

Nah, I tried the plastic and it was so light I couldn't get it to scrape very good at all. So I searched and searched and finally found a metal bladed one. I love it, works real good, I try not to use it much though, too much work to shovel lol. Last winter I was stepping down off a curb to the truck, and slipped, I've got a nice dent in the side of my truck now, that has blue paint all over it where my shovel smacked the truck.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Plastic edge shovels are the ONLY way to go...Trust me.

The vast majority of contractors use these shovels...There called snopushers, and they work great. They just roll the snow off like it's nothing.

CIMG1024.jpg

CIMG1025.jpg

CIMG1026.jpg

4. cycles13

cycles13 Junior Member

I like the Menards blue plastic shovel. They hold up well and are reasonably priced. Also use a Sno Dozer push shovel. Easy to use and easy on back.

5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Use a few type

we use different shovels based on the snow or ice we are trying to remove. However, if you can stay on top of the snow, there is a shovel called a Dakota shovel that has wheels and requires no lifting. It simple pushes the snow to the sides. If you have too much snow however, (6" or more) use something else.

6. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I got a bunch from Home Depot. We'll break them.

7. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I just purchased a bunch of snowplow shovels of differing sizes. I expect them to last longer then the cheap ones.

8. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

Well here's what we use. We really like the way they perform but they only last one season. We're thinking about trying the Snow Plow UHMW shovel advertised in the link at the top right of the page here. Just not sure how well they work for lifting and throwing.

Attached Files:

9. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

I just got to use my new "the snowplow.com" and i like it, although, it was only used on about 2" of snow with slush on the bottom but worked really well. The only thing is to remember to angle the blade just like a plow on a truck and it will glide right over the joints in the pavement. I only have the 28"er but am thinking of buying the 48"er. That would rock on snow falls of 4 - 6".

I do agree with what some one on here posted about using different shovels for different snow falls/types

Has any one noticed that this site has been running really slow or is just me? Any other site runs OK, just this one very slow the last few days...

10. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

I LIKE THE PLASTIC SUNCAST ONES THERE LIGHT ENOUGH TO THROW THE SNOW AND THEY ARE EASY TO PUSH AND THEY HAVE BOTH KINDS ONES WITH METAL EDGES AND ONES WITH OUT AND I GET THEM AT TARGET CHEAP TOO.:)Thumbs Uppayup

11. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

As much as possible, we use the 36" wide D-handle scrapers from Gemplers. They're amazing on long sidewalks as long as you stay on top of the snow. We have several, some 10+ years old still going strong.

As others said, we use different shovels for different snows though- man I hate it when we have to get the scoop shovels out!

12. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

the ames icebuster are very good there the blue ones someome posted a pic of and also GARRANT shovels are awesome!

13. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

i use an old metal body home made job clears great but its a bit heavy

14. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

lesco has some nice ones that are 30" wide, mostly what we use. Great for pushing and scooping snow.

15. PlowKing50

PlowKing50 Junior Member
    from NW Iowa

Last year we bought the 30" and 36" 'snowplow shovels' advertised here. I had a hard time paying $50 for a snow shovel but man do those things work good. They're light and clean to bare concrete if its not real packed down.
    The 30" is a great all around shovel for pushing and lifting snow at the end of the driveway. The 36" works great to push a couple inches but gets kinda heavy throwing that snow. It also tends to spin in your hands if try to throw wet heavy snow.

16. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Lugnut......We buy the kind that will break. I've done this for going on 20 years now and I think I've had the chance to try most shovels, they all break. Even the good ones, I do like the snowplow brand, but guys are rough on equipment, especial shovel crew guys. We buy about 50 shovels a season and fully expect to buy another 50 next year, we'll start the season off with the ones that have some life left, about 6 now, but I'd venture to say that 40-45 of those shovels will be junk by March.

17. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

I agree. I can't stand the metal edged ones, they seem to catch on everything and I can't use them to clean the snow off my hot tub cover. I'd take a plastic shovel any day. They may break, but seem to do a better job. Speaking of which I have to find mine, probably still by the hot tub thinking its on vacation or something.

18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

These IMO, are the best shovel BY FAR for long walks and light snow falls. We have several of them.......but as you/others mentioned, we carry more than 1 style shovel with us for different applications.

We also have several of TheSnowPlow shovels 30's & 36's. These are great shovels also.

I noticed someone mentioned the cheap blue plastic Suncast shovels you can get at Wally World...we have many of these, and they are a good, basic, "cheap" shovel. I think I've paid about 5 or 6 bucks for em.

And of course a few scoop shovels......but most stuff we would need these for, the blowers get pulled out.

19. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

We use the "snowplow" snovels and a shovel for scooping also...I think they are the suncast shovels? I havn't found a good all around shovel. The "snowplow" brand shovels are awsome for 4" or less. The snow slides right off. It really IS like a snow plow. We back scrape the steps, and being 30" & 36" wide, it only takes a swipe or to. We also have the suncast type shovel for the deeper stuff. But one of each and through in the back of the truck with you. Best investment we've made in shovels. We're on our 2nd season with our "snowplow" brand shovels. We have yet to break one, they are built solid, but still pretty light. We also havn't come close to wearing out the edges on them since they are so much thicker than the others.

20. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 Senior Member

We just use Kmart shovels cheap $10 ones then we just get new ones the following year if we need them.