1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of shovel do you use?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by don_luciano674, Dec 9, 2005.

1. I use the the one thats good for your back. (Yeah Right!)

But I wouldnt mind trying this one.

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Standard snow shovel that you would find at the hardwar store, not the flat ones, the ones that are more of a bucket and hold more snow.
  3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I forget what they are called but it's the kind farmers use for slinging brown stuff, better than any cheap Walmart snowshovel. I've used those ones that are supposed to be good for your back, if anything they seem worse, the leverage for lifting is increased.
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I don't shovel anything but my mothers front step. I'm usually gone so the little woman shovels off our steps, only because I can't fit the plow up there. I used to have a little electric Toro power shovel someone gave me, was a little tiny snowthrower. kind of neat, was great for steps.

That reminds me of the question, "how many men does it take to clean a kitchen?"
    None, that's a woman's job!
  5. jmurphy

jmurphy Member

I use a 36" snow pusher and a Razorback 24" snow pusher.:drinkup: BTW.. Its my b-day!!!!!:bday: :bday: :bday:
  6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

All my shovels are powered. Bobcat w/bucket, Takuchi TB070 excavator, and 14' backhoe atchment for the bobcat. oh and 2 non english speeking power units that work, work, work.
  7. ljrce

ljrce Senior Member

all mine os powerdd 95 sportsman 400 4x4 48 inch plow and 75 ford f100 7foot 6 shovel

LCSODIVER Junior Member

Farmer shovel

The farmers shovels are called a Grain Scoop. and ya for the heavy wet stuff they are my favorite.
  9. frostservices

frostservices Member

#14 Aluninum scoop shovel works best for digging you out when you push into the bank to far. But they wear off really quick on sidewalks!
  10. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Last year I had a real nice light plastic shovel. The edge was also plastic so it was real quiet. It was also super deep so you could fit a ton of snow in it.

I dont remember where I bought them and I searched everywhere this year, so I just got some more plastic shovel, but they're not as light and have a metal edge.
  11. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I use a plastic grain shovel for heavy stuff, have one of those back breakers/savers, and a metal one shaped like a plow that just throws the stuff. You can't lift it yourself very well, though.
  12. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I keep a metal grain shovel in the bed of the truck in case I need it. For doing walks I use a cheap plastic snow shovel with a plastic edge. They cost me like $7.99 and I can get two seasons out of them before they are totally crap and trow them away.
  13. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

I use black ones from Sams Club. They are light, 18 inches wide, and are scoop. I had to wait a year to get new ones, there a seasonal item.
  14. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ya, I plow snow, I don't shovel snow. I hire a shovel guy and tell him to go to the store, pick out any shovel he wants and I pay for it. Much easier on my back :drinkup:
  15. Brookside

Brookside Member

Plastic grain scoop is easier on the paint on the side of the truck digging out of the ditch.
  16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have a pair of regular plastic shovels with the metal edge. Noisy but work well for the few sidewalks I am responsible for.

I also have this yellow "Snowplow" shovel that has a slope going one direction, but it can be used on either the top or bottom. Totally plastic... really useful for 3" snowfalls or less where you can really walk fast with them. Totally useless when it is wet and heavy.

I think they are all Garant brand or something.... They sell them at CTC and Home Depot etc...

Hey, did anyone buy one of those "Snowblower" shovels that spin on the wheels while you push it??? LOL they looked sooooooo cheezy... still would have liked to try one for fun but I can see wheels sliding instead of spinning....
  17. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Ive always used a sturdy standard snow shovel. Not you cheapo recycled plastic ones.

But the other day I bought one of those ergonomic, wasy on your back, hard on your wallet snow shovels... yead right.... hope I still have the reciept. That things going back. Its a pain in the a55 and it doesnt seem to be very comfortable to use.
  18. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I use a 3' Yoho snow pusher for the 4" and under stuff. Anything more than 4", I use a regular size pusher or the blower.
  19. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

Grain scoop, the one I used when I mucked out Dad's stalls every day before school!
    I like those pusher shovels with a straight handle for walkways.
  20. frostservices

frostservices Member

Oh well not to worried about paint it wouldn`t be the first scratch in the paint! I prefer the Aluminum in hard packed snow, like when you slide into a bank.Mostly cause the aluminum is stiffer Just my opinion of course.