1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what kind of salt spreader and more

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by murphy4trees, Mar 5, 2007.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

I caught the guy who salts my lots stealing.... We do 12-15 small lots and 75+ driveways. Three trucks including his. But he's the only one with a salt spreader. He has a tailgate spreader which is plenty for what we have now, though I might go with a v-box in case I get some bigger contracts. I'll look for something off season. I have an 87 Dodge 250 with an 8' bed. Everything else I use is a 2 door SUV, ram chargers, blazers and broncos, which I prefer because we specialize in tight. I might get a 350 dually dump sometime this year for my tree service and stump grinding business.

He's a hard worker and very reliable, but I don't want to rely on him. He did a call in driveway and put the check in his pocket and then told me it was a bust and not to bill the lady. When I confronted him on it, he said he forgot about the check, which was a lie no doubt, and then said I'd have to deal with that no matter who I was dealing with.

Then on the next snow he billed me 9 hours at 75/hr. We billed probably about 2500 for his work with me buying the salt. He did all the commercial work while my other buddy and I did the driveways. Total billing was about $9,600. I was out for 11 hours, and we had another man in a seperate truck shoveling and salting walks.

SO back to the spreader. I could probably pick up a buyers tailgate spreader fairly cheap in the off season. My plow guy is highly recommending the snow-x v-box... all electric. I heard they have aproblem with the salt falling through when it is shut down.

I apologize if you all are tired of hearing this question asked and thanks in advance for your suggestions.
  2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

If you want all eletric. Then go with a buyers salt dog. 1.5 yard hopper. They are extremely reliable. Two people can get it out of the truck. Has 2 moving parts. The auger and the spinner. I love them. My one sub has one, my other sub has a western tornado. Take a guess who never has had a problem with their spreader. :rolleyes:
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have asked this question before so here's what I can give you. First if you go with a V box you need something to load it with (skid steer, tractor etc.) If you dont have or want to go through that hassle, look into a SnowEx 1875 spreader or something that will spread bulk salt. Around here a skid of bagged salt went from 163.00 to almost 200 bucks:eek: We made the switch to bulk early this season with no complaints. Basically any tail gate spreader will spread bulk salt, you will need a vibrator, that is a must. We went with a Sure-Flo unit, it cost us 236.11 with shipping and it took me about 20 minutes to install. It was the best 236.11 I spent! Depending on how big some of your lots are will determin how big of a spreader you should get. Even a Fisher Speed Cast, like the one mcwlandscaping is selling would do a great job and he's only asking 450 bucks for it. I have tossed and turned this season on what to do about a spreader, we finally decided on a DownEaster dump insert and their tail gate attatchment for salting, (I think,lol we're still thinking about that one).
  4. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

ive got a lesco min spreader its ok i got an amazing deal on it but if i didnt get the deal iwas going for a snowex...the 1875 i would say would work great we have 2guys that run them....