1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Kind of Salt for Buyers Type Spreaders?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BRIMOW525, Dec 16, 2002.

1. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I was just wondering what kind of salt u guys use for Buyers type spreaders. I bought mine used and the guy that I bought it from used Solar Salt. So thats what I used for about 2 yrs. The only problem is that it's too big. Finnaly the local Agway started carring medium coarse solar salt. It seems to be smaller than solar salt but larger than jiffy melt (sidewalk salt). I like to use this stuff because I can get it in pallets of 50lb bags. I don't want to order in bulk (loose) because I don't want to take up the space in the shop and winters are too infrequent around here. Just wanted some thoughts. I am one of a few contractors around that has salting capabilities.
  2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I've been using regular Halite Bagged Rocksalt sold in 80lb or 50lb bags.

As for size? Take a pencil, pull real hard on the eraser and seperate it from the pencil THAT is the average size of the salt granule. I would think that SOLAR salt would go thru, but around here its WAY too expensive, as its totally pure!

The smaller the size the quicker it seems to flow through. Calcium cloride just whizz's thru WAY too fast!

I pay between $4 and $5 per 80lb bag for the Halite.
  3. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

find a supplier for bagged rock salt and get it 50# or 80# bags. i also think that solar salt would be quite expensive.

how many pallets would you use or store per season. I know dover doesn't get much precip.

and with that buyers, it'll get clogged with bulk. when we used to use a combo of tailgates and v boxes, i tried the bulk in our buyers and spent more time scooping it out. after that i threw a pallet of rock salt in and never had problems.
  4. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Solar salt is about the same as rock salt. Varies from $3-6 per bag. 80lbs being $6. I tried Hailte but I thought that I ran through it too quick. This medium coarse stuff is a little bigger than kitty litter. As for hom much I store for the season, I usually store 1-2 tons. In 00-01 winter I used almost 3 tons. I would think with Hailte u would have to use a lot more product.
  5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Halite's a LOT bigger in granule size than KITTY LITTER, thats for sure! Don't know what stuff your seeing?

Sometimes its bigger, sometimes its smaller. IT all goes thru just fine. If your spreading too fast, drive FASTER !!! :D

Just know that unless you need to melt down 2" of solid ice, the SOLAR SALT is going to be TOO big. The smaller granules seem to activate quicker and develop brine quicker.

The Halite has some actual traction material/small rocks mixed in with it.

I say buy whats the CHEAPEST and spread away!

Only time granule size is important to me is when I was using a LESCO push spreader to spread my lots :nono: Talk about time consuming!