1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of salt do you use on Concrete?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by westernmdlawn, Feb 14, 2005.

1. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

I have some concrete walkways and entrances that are brand new and I don't want to put regular old #1 rock salt on them for ice control because I am worried about the corrosive nature and the damage that may occur. I know they make a special type of ice melter for concrete that is not damaging, but don't know what it is called, or where to get it. I think it would be great if someone could tell me what active ingredient(s) to look for since my local supply store might carry a different brand than you guys suggest. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!!! Also, if you know how much it is roughly that would be helpful too! Thanks again...

P.S. - Anyone looking for a great deal on a snowmobile? I've got a 94 Wildcat 700 EFI for sale in Western Maryland. I will deliver if need be and I'm desperate to part with it - need cash!! Make offer, will send pics if anyone is interested. Email me at - westernmdlawn@hotmail.com
  2. Blizzard Plower

Blizzard Plower Junior Member
    from Il

Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium--Chloride or a combonation of the three.

Also Salt really does not tear up the concrete(which is called scale) it's the pooor job they did floating it.

We put those listed above to keep salt from being tracxked into the business.
  3. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

In a perfect world you should not put any deicer on green concrete.

But since this world isn't perfect you can apply a thin coating of Magic Salt or use Magic O to treat some sand.

Calcium and potassium mixes are around (and very costly) and must be carefully applied. A lot of places apply deicers way too heavily.
  4. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Triple melt has worked good for us.
  5. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

Rock salt effects blacktop?

We use calcium chloride on the s/w (about $10.25 per 50lb bag)and it does a good job. Its more money put its worth the price when the homeowners see the flakes instead of rock salt. We only use rock salt on the parking lots. Can anyone advise the effects of rock salt on blacktop. We know it is corrosive on concrete but what about the parking lots with blacktop.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  6. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Don't know, my theory is, the city and state us it, and what does it do, it causes potholes after 10 gillizion cars drive on it. A business parking lot is more than likely paved with what they call highway grade blacktop, and no more traffic than you would have on a parking lot to a business, I would think that the damage would be minimal.Again I could be wrong.
  7. Blizzard Plower

from Il

Majic salt is rock salt, magneasium chloride and brewers waste.

You are still putting rock salt, that's also why it's cheaper.

I use no rock salt on walks.
  8. Blizzard Plower

from Il

Not harmful
  9. doug96

doug96 Member

black top

some of the heavy salted ones showup a white power after i seal them near the edgs and low spots, but no damage
  10. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

lesco melt
  11. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Superior Sno N Ice

Manufactured by CP Industries in Utah
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  12. Runner

Runner Senior Member