1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of salt do you resi guys use?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BillA, Dec 1, 2011.

1. BillA

BillA Member
    from IL

Wondering what you resi guys are using on your sidewalks and what you are using on your driveways? What works best with the least amount of damage?

2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

some people will tell you rock salt is fine. Me personally if I was doing residential, I would probably put up the little extra money and get a good ice melter, something that does minimal damage to the lawns etc. Plus most residentials dont want plowing under 2" so with the ice melt you will be a little more melting from it on 1" plus snow storms

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

NaCl, Sodium Chloride.

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

LOL, must be Friday night on Plowsite!

5. BillA

BillA Member
    from IL

Thanks! Yea, most of our customers that do request salt ask that we use something that won't hurt the grass. Been using an ice melt we buy in bulk from a local supply store, no complaints so far.

6. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I have a hard time getting customers to pay for ice melt, only a couple will pay the price of it over salt. I charge around double my cost per bag put down, I am cheaper then the guys using Magic Salt in my area.

I have found it easier to just use rock salt and include it in the price of the plowing, since most people rather not pay to have salt either, but I am afraid of it freezing over once cleared like I had afew do last year.
    Last year I fell getting out of my truck and hit my head on the step bar, as soon as I stopped he truck to salt (do not have salter on truck), I hate for anyone to do that on one of my lots...

I am not planing on using ice melt this year, but I am going to keep about 10 bags on the truck, just in case someone wants it.

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I just get all the salt packets from McDonalds, and empty them in my spreader.

I just use regular rock salt. If you put it down sparingly it won't hurt the lawns.

8. BillA

BillA Member
    from IL

And that was always my theory, every now and then I will have a customer ask for ice melt instead of rock salt so we carry a few bags of that as well. We hand spread everything so it isnt a big deal having both on hand.