1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what kind of plow should i get?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by krikert, Dec 15, 2003.

1. krikert

krikert Junior Member

would like to know what kind of plow i should put on my truck. the front end is only 4410lb so would like a kinda light one probably 7 1/2 ft.

2. krikert

krikert Junior Member

99 f250 v10

would like to add that i am only going to be plowing a few drives and one small parking lot

3. JBZ71

JBZ71 Junior Member

I'd go with an 8 footer,I'll let the rest sway your mind between a straight or a vee...:p
  4. Alpha42

Alpha42 Junior Member

The way this business is I would say get one thats already mounted to someone elses truck. Flip him a 50 and grab a cold one while he does it.:drinkup:
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Does this give you an idea, another Ford, very nice ride, you'll love the V-10
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2005

DIESELRAM30 Member

I would reccomened a western ultra mount it is a great plow very easy to put on the truck and it is overall just a good plow. I would say go with an 8 footer because with the width of your truck when fully angled you may track snow with a 7 1/2 footer. And make sure you go with the pro plow if you get a western.
  7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You definitely want to get a 8' plow. If you're worried about the front end, you should install some X code springs. These are the springs that come with super duty plow package. The truck should be able to handle any 8' plow, but if you are still worried about the weight, you could go with a snoway with a lexan blade. It will be light enough to keep you within your front axle GAWR and pushes snow very well. In all reality though, you want to get a plow from the closest and most reliable dealer available in your area.

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

that truck will handle any plow you want to put on it ! I had a 8.6 uni mount on mine ,my buddy runs a 9 footer.with that long wheel base i would run a 8.6 whatever brand you like.and if it sags a little much go to a spring shop and have them add a leaf.I think it cost me less than $300.00.Alot less work than changing spring packs out and just as strong or stronger!
  9. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

How about something like this.....

10. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

no smaller then 8ft. western, meyer, fisher, boss all make great plows. install timbrens:)
  11. SteveVB

SteveVB Member

Dont get the 7.5'

I have a 7.5 on my regular cab long bed and its not wide enough. You have an extra cab and fullsize bed? You will track your rear tire in your windrows. When angled I rub my doors on the windrows plowing curves and even in big snow.

I would get the 8 or 8.6- if you need to upgrade the front with timbrens or X springs to do it I would.
  12. donny boy

donny boy Junior Member

well i have 2001 crew and i put a polycarbonate 8'6' snow-way on (predator 32) ..... its lighter that the rest and still does the job.... i feel its pretty lousy on back blading cause of the weight difference but very nice when pushing snow and snowbanks back..... also this plow moves twice as fast as the rest of the plows and has more angel than the western V-plow... just my opinion....

13. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Moosehunter, where you from in Mn? Just good to see other Minnesotans around here. I'm from Minnetonka, so just like to see where fellow MN folks live.