1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of plow should I buy?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by bobb25, Oct 28, 2007.

1. bobb25

bobb25 Junior Member
    from pa

I’m looking for a plow for my 2001 Chevy. I narrowed it down to Boss and Western. I’m open to other brands, but those two have local dealers and seem to be prevelant in my area. I just sold a 1990 Chevy with a Western. The dealer where I bought that plow now only sells Boss.

The plow is only for personal use, and will probably be used a few times a year. Ease of connection is important to me. I looked at Boss SmartHitch and Western UltraMount, but local dealers want over $4K, so I started looking at used plows. There seems to be a lot of used Western UniMounts for sale. Is a UniMount plow a lot harder to take on and off than an UltraMount? Someone told me they think a UniMount plow can be converted to an UltraMount. Does anyone know if that’s true? If it is, I’d probably ask a Western dealer how much it would be to convert it.

I assume spring is a better time to buy, but was wondering if prices usually drop much, and if more plows are available. I have a tractor with a bucket, and can probably get away without a plow this winter. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated. TIA Bob
  2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

you can make a UniMounts hook up to a truck with a UltraMount.

They make a thingly-mik-bob that pins to the holes on the unimount plow that makes it slide into and hook to the ultramount frame.

The ultramount's are not bad to hook up if your doing it in a shop. well then again no plows are hard to hook up in a shop :rolleyes:

If you go with western, nomatter the uni or the ultra, I would wire it for a V-plow, that way you could hook a V up if you wanted to at any time.
  3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i have got a bunch of differ colors of plows and i like the ultramount

it's easy on and off and it'll hold up to years of commercial use, check this place outhttp://www.snowplowsupply.com/cart/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=186 they have them for $3645 and i have delt with them before and had a good experiance
  4. bobb25

bobb25 Junior Member
    from pa

Thanks for the advice. I like the UltraMount, but couldn't find a used one close to me, and the new ones were out of my price range. I found plenty of UniMount plows, but I found out from Western that they didn't make any kind of kit to make a UniMount into an UltraMount. I bought a used Boss today, which has a pretty easy mounting system.