1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of plow is this and what kind of controller do I need?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by newguyjosh, Jul 24, 2011.

1. newguyjosh

newguyjosh Junior Member
    from Indiana

Hello,

I just purchased an old 85 ford 1 ton dually 4x4 for other uses but it just happened to come with a snow plow. I have a 1000 foot long drive in the country and have been using my 4 wheeler to plow it but since I happen to have a plow on the truck now I'll use it. Can anyone identify what kind of plow this is from the pics? (i know it's old). Also, how hard one it be to change to a switch or joystick type of control and what brand do I need? The pull out/push in knobs on it now work but is kind of a pain. If it's reasonably easy and inexpensive I may upgrade it.

What else do I need to know about the plow and plowing?

plow1.jpg

plow3.jpg

plow.jpg

plow2.jpg

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

That's a Meyer plow with an under the hood hydraulic system. That's big time "old school". I'll let someone else chime in about modifying the controls.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Like Camden said it's a Meyer. I don't tink it would be that hard to change to a joy stick controler but, I think it mite be hard to find one. I know a guy that has a Fisher with the old style push/pull controls and he said they arn't that bad to use. FYI, you mite want to replace that spring that has been streched out. You can buy a spring at a Meyer dealer or on line.

4. newguyjosh

newguyjosh Junior Member
    from Indiana

If I decide to get a new spring or new controller...what meyer model do I have? I looked at their website and I need to know this to order any parts.

What other types of maitnence should be done to a plow this age? Anything I should specifically consider doing to this old guy (aside from the spring)

5. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

I would think with the right cables and an old western joystick controller you could swap out from the push pull control