1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what kind of plow for cinder roads?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by specrddstr1, Sep 20, 2010.

1. specrddstr1

specrddstr1 Junior Member

Hello. I am a local road district commissioner. We have 30 + miles of roads to maintain in the winter. About half are paved and the rest are graded cinders. We have been using very old road graders for the past 30 years. I am trying to convince the other two commissioners to change over to truck mounted plows( which are much faster and easier to maintain) The main concern is if the truck mounted plows will work on the cinder roads. I have removed snow for over thirty years, but my word does not seem to be enough. Is anyone of you know of a contractor or road district with similar conditions? thank you:

2. the intimidator

the intimidator Junior Member

What do you mean by graded cinders??? would be a good place to start I have never heard that term before

3. specrddstr1

specrddstr1 Junior Member

what kind of plow for cinder roads

graded cinder roads means///// the road base has been graded to some simulance of smooth with a road grader and is composed of volcanic cinders not crushed gravel. does that give you any better idea of what we are dealing with? thank you

4. the intimidator

the intimidator Junior Member

What type of trucks is you're county planning to use to move snow with? here I believe they are using 5 ton internationals with front blades and a side wing 90% of the roads are gravel in my county only 4 or 5 paved roads I think the main issue they have is in the spring melt and fall before the frost has set in and got the road bed solid. other then that the roads are not damaged too much over the winter most of the damage is caused by normal traffic in the spring when everything is soft alot of the roads are very low so they stay soft for a good month after the snow is gone then they grade them and everything is back to normal hope that is some help