1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of plow for a 06 Jeep Commander

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by MNHustle, Oct 20, 2010.

1. MNHustle

MNHustle Junior Member

I don't know what kind plow I should put on a 2006 Jeep Commander, anyone have any suggestions?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

22 series Snoway with Down Pressure.

Snoway.com

3. Plow Man Jim

Plow Man Jim Junior Member
    from Iowa

Well you can see in my sig line what I use and it has been just great for Driveway"s and I even do one Apt. Place and the people just love me there so it's up to you. But remember this I'm not making one single dime off of telling what I use. Others on here do .

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If that crack was directed at the earlier responses; how would I benefit from answering a question from some guy in MN? While Scott on the other hand (employed by Buyers) wouldn't recommend anything due to weight issues. If you'd done a little research you would have found Snoway, snowbear, snowsport or this new Meyer Home Depot plow are his only choices and of them all only snoway offers down pressure and would IMO be the best choice of the four, or you could just limit yourself to irrelevant statements.

5. Plow Man Jim

from Iowa

Basher; Your wise crack to me was un-called for. Did I say I was talking about you no... I was simply stating that there are people on here that use this site as a sells tool. So grow up and get over it. You presume that I talking about you and then you proceed to beat on me. Get a life for crying out loud. If you are one of those people that read into every post what you think people are saying rather than what they actually are saying or even asking them first than your going to be wrong way more than you are going to be right.

Now where is my apology????

6. MNHustle

MNHustle Junior Member

Thanks for the advice

7. Plow Man Jim

from Iowa

MNHustle:
    You are more than welcome. I hope that I was able to help you even if it was in some small way. Have fun with what ever you get and just remember go slow until you get it all figured out and always use common sense it always helps. Stop back and let me know what you ended up buying and how it is going for you..

Have a great day.. Jim

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Snoway 22 series would be your only option if you're looking for a "real" plow with good performance, power angle and good resale value since there's not many manufactures that have a compatible front mounted plow for your application . The down pressure capability is just icing on the cake.

9. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Having owned and gotten rid of a 07 Commander I wouldn't put any plow on that POS unless it is for your own driveway. Either that or carry a spare tranfer case with you.

10. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

I REALLY advise against using a jeep commander for anything other than grocery getting. those things are a joke.

11. wj4play

wj4play Member

I would stick to light duty with it... I heard the same things about my 99. but you need to realize if its for profit and more than a hobby you might be better off getting a cheap YJ or TJ and a plow. I am not sure how the commanders are built but the IFS could be troublesome.

Are they Unibody vehicles too?

12. wj4play

wj4play Member

here is some carnage of a unibody plow truck. This is my 99 that i have used for 3or4 years plowing commercial and residential. see how the front unibody is pulling away from the rest of the jeep. sheetmetal seperating

[​IMG]

13. Plow Man Jim

from Iowa

What kind of Jeep is this on?

14. snow problem

snow problem Senior Member

That why you dont put a 7.5 on a Grand, the sports are better fro plowing my 99 is the best plow truck i have owned.

15. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Probably a WJ; aka a 99-04' Grand Cherokee.

16. Plow Man Jim

from Iowa

Thanks for that answer as well as the input... I know when I got mine they told me weight and the strain of pushing is the reason for only putting a 6.6 on my Cherokee.

17. wj4play

wj4play Member

Its a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado. We have owned it since it was new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. wj4play

wj4play Member

The Sports and Grands and Jeep Comanche are all unibody vehicles. I had to make a steel frame under the unibody to attach the unimont. I have ripped it off a few times and learned from it. Right now I am redesigning the way it attaches to the unibody and it should be pretty durable. If I am able to do it the way I want to. I should be able to
    1. Make it removable for summer and offroading
    2. build the mount that its isolated by rubber bushings. This will help absorb vibrations from plowing.

Good luck on the commander, sometimes you just gotta listen to yourself and do what you feel is right.

19. Plow Man Jim

from Iowa

Hey Wj where in Iowa are you???I'm over by Fort Dodge............

20. wj4play

wj4play Member

I'm in Des Moines. were kinda like neighbors lol. Wify and I was just in Mason City last weekend picking up a half cow. Do you guys get alot of snow up there. I know it was like 10-15 degrees cooler up your way.