1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of oil are you guys using in your plows?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bigrd1, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

When I got my first plow (used) I changed the oil and put the Blue snow plow oil in it. A couple snowfalls into the season it got really cold out and froze up in the middle of a storm:realmad:. Of course I had to take it back to the shop and heat it up and put new oil in it. Couple months later I talked to an AMSOIL dealer at the MGIA snow in Michigan. He told me I could put AMSOIL trans fluid in it and that it had a lower pour point than the blue oil. I tried it out and have been hooked ever since.

So my question for you guys is what oil do you put in your plows?
  2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

In my Westerns I run Western Hydraulic Oil (blue).
    They will run on standard ATF but when temps get cold they slow down a bit but no matter what you run, keep the fluid changed and the filter clean and you should be good.
    I change all mine 2 times a year, beginning and end of the season....cheap insurance.
  3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Boss plow oil--as stated--ATF will work in a pinch but when it gets real cold it's much more thick than a reputable plow specific hydraulic oil.
  4. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

Boss branded fluid. Change it every season.
  5. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

If my memory serves me correctly, you will void your warranty on a Meyer plow unless you use THEIR brand of plow oil? I am sure that if you use another brand/type of oil in it, Meyer will be able to tell, even if it is blue?
  6. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

I've never really had a problem with my plow moving slow when its really cold out except for when I first got it and put the blue oil in it. Its never really gotten much colder than 10-15 below so that could be part of it.
  7. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

dexron 3 ATF for the last 5 years. last year it got down to -10 one night. Never ever had an issue with temperature affecting the operation of the hydros.
  8. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

i use dex atf also never had a prob in the extreme cold in nh. by rights atf is the best hydraulic fluid you could use, my reason is every year on truck service day we switch out the juice on the plows and there is always a couple spare qts kicking around. I heard a rumor that transmission fluid is the thinnest oil out there ?
  9. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I use manufacturer recommended oil. I would use the ATF in a pinch if it was needed but not as regular maintenance.
  10. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

I don't know if ATF is the thinest oil out there but in the plow world it's the colder pour point that did it for me.
  11. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

buyers blue in meyers pumps never had any problems...i change begining and end of season every year.... if your ram or angel cylenders are pitted up you might want to change again in middle of season

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I used Amsoil Universal ATF and sometimes Torque Drive for years then switched to Amsoil ISO 22 four or five years ago. The stuff pours like water.
  13. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

I use the Sam blue fluid.
  14. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

I've always had good luck using AMSOIL as well. Never had it freeze up on me either.
  15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Guess I'm narrow minded but I use/suggest using the manufacture's oil for the pump.On the flipside I've been doing the Amsoil oil thing for about 15yrs.
  16. holstonsnow

holstonsnow Junior Member

I'm running Dex3 ATF and it has worked great, maybe a little slower on the extreme cold days, but you wouldn't notice unless you were watching specifically for that. I also clean the filter and exchange the fluid twice a season
  17. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I use the SAM blue stuff as well, they have it every day at NAPA. Never had a freeze up problem ever, it is much thinner than any ATF IMO. If you are having a freeze up problem it might be moisture in the fluid, you change the fluid away goes the moisture.

BTW It does get cold here, how many times is Saranac Lake, NY the coldest spot in the in the U.S.? Saranac Lake is about 10 miles from here and I am at a higher elevation. 30 plus below last winter. Already been 15 below this season here.
  18. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Esso Univis, best there is.
  19. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

20. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

That's the same stuff I use. I liked it so much I became a dealer for AMSOILThumbs Up