1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of office phone do u have????

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by alwayz-plowin, Nov 24, 2010.

1. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

Ok well i was wondering what kind of phne/ hone system u have:

I know i only have a cell phone but i REALLLYYYY Hate having all these people calling it during a storm wanting to know where i am etc...
    That is also my personal phone so i cant really turn it off.

But i think im going to either get an office phone i dont want another cell tho.

But im just wondering what phone you have.......
    I know some guys have a answering system
    and some just go straight to voicemail which would be annoying to customers....

2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

This works for us.......:dizzy:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Mines pretty complex for a one man show... It's an office line that gives me yellow page advertizing but its linked to my cell, if the cell is on it will ring 3 times in the office and automatically forward to the cell if it's not answered. If the cell goes unanswered after 4 rings or is in use then to voicemail. If the cell is in use the office phone can still be used, and vise versa.
    My office line, 800 # and fax line all ring through the same line with different coded rings. I won't give it up. It's great. When I'm tired of answering (while plowing) simply turn off the cell... check messages when it's convienient.

4. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i would definitely get a phone that forwarded any information of how much i charged, or my client lists, etc...were forwarded onto my snow plowing organization that i had had subscribed, paid dues to...so they could easily share this information with all my competition and.take this business back to pennsylvania, and piece meal it back to me as they saw fit.

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have a Samsung Reality through Verizon. It's the only phone I have so my customers can reach me on it. I usualy just anser it, unles it's somebody I realy don't want to talk to. LOL

Attached Files:

6. paponte

paponte Senior Member

We have a three line system with timed hours of operations programmed. You can enable a hunt group, find me, or forwarding at anytime via a call in code. Cost a couple hundred bucks, but well worth it.

7. adan

adan Member

We use Blackberry torchs with unlimited usage and alot of call - forwarding.

8. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Can It text?

9. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Not a fair question for us. We have a Cisco IP system with redundant switches and it covers 4 offices across 2 states. It emails us voicemails and has all kinds of fancy automatted attendent stuff. For a one man office, you are probably better off with a package from the phone company or cable company that can do call forwarding.

10. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

That's cool!
    I'll bet it's not cheap though!

11. biggreens

biggreens Junior Member

I have had the same problem since begining of my business, and finally i think i have a handle on it. Alls we use in my business is cell phones. This year while I am out in a piece of equipment my wife is going to be at home answering the company cell phone so I dont have to be bothered with it while I am working. So with all that said, if you have a wife or someone who could take your phone during the storms and answer it and you use another phone that would probably be you best bet.

12. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Good one man

13. Red Bull Junkie

Red Bull Junkie Senior Member

AnswerConnect.com-They R the Sh*t. They make my life a little more sane. They answer all my calls-take messages, customer info, RFP requests, or forward calls to my cell, all based on a script and set of instructions that can be changed at any time. great service too.

14. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

I have an iPhone. Fills my needs perfectly.

15. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

I use a cell phone for my business too.
    Anyone of real importance during a snow storm (my contract's contacts) are all in my phone, so I know when they are calling. ANyone else goes to voicemail, and will get their calls returned when I am done with my contracts.

Last year, it was sometimes 48 hours after we were done, I still called, and they still needed help, but had to turn most of them away because they were gravel driveways (and because I was just too tired to do anymore).

16. FLMan

FLMan Junior Member

RCA visys [​IMG]

17. hometown lawn

hometown lawn Junior Member

We use Google Voice. I was able to get a vanity number in my area code such as 913-256-LAWN and I can control it all from my iphone and the new Google Voice app. Best of all it is free.I can send it to ring to any number of phones, when I call a customer their caller id shows my Google Voice number and not my personal cell phone number, it is a separate voice mail than my personal cell phone and it is all accessible from the web. It's amazing for a free service that works wonders for a small business. With today being Thanksgiving, I have it set to Do Not Disturb until 6:30 tomorrow morning so all calls until then go directly to VM and won't ring my phone.

Hope this helps.

18. FLMan

FLMan Junior Member

I have google voice as well, I have not done too much with it, I already have a phone number that is known by my customers.

19. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

I was wondering about Google Voice for iPhone. Haven't looked into it that much. Another thing I heard of is Ring Central. Supposed to be an 800 number that simply redirects to your office or cell phone. or both.

20. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

Wow!
    See that is exactly what i need! im going to look into it!
    Thanks everyone keep the suggestions/ comments coming!