1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of lube should I use?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by RobbieB, Feb 28, 2008.

1. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

Standard duty 7.5'. For the half moon rail where the plow pivots side to side. I am looking for a good lube that might stay on for more than two pivots.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try the almighty FF.
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

u cud try this... lol jp

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I second the Fluid Film and keep an extra can in the truck.
  5. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

My boss won't spring for the fluid film and I know if I pay for it out of my own pocket I won't get my money back so I guess it's back to good old grease.
  6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Try Schaeffer's synthetic with moly.On pin and bushing applications on my off-road iron,it always stays put,lasts longer, and is more slippery than anything I've ever seen.I inject it on the center pin on my Boss V-plow--works great.
  7. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Robbi are you having problems with the quadrant ("half moon rail thing") screeching or making noise when you angle the blade?

Or do you simply want to lube it as PM?
  9. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

No, no problems. Just wanted to put something on there to keep it from binding. It was a bit rusty.
  10. Indy

Indy Senior Member

BB I am also looking for grease for that half moon, I have used FF but I can see clean bright worn spots on the half moon, I think (also) that some thing thick and pasty would work good in that spot.

However, I have drank the coolaid on FF, I think it is majic for rust and metal protection.

So any pasty grease suggestions?:salute:

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It isn't even necessary to lube the quadrant at all actually. A little rust and worn paint is normal..but if it's actually binding due to being dry then something is wrong (bent).

If your just trying to prevent wear, it's much more important to periodically grease the pivot bolt that the quadrant actually pivots on than it is to lube the "half moon" part.

You can use a little chassis grease or dry graphite spray on it though if if gives you peace of mind. :)