1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of hours do people work at their regular/non snow related job?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by famouslee99gt, Aug 15, 2009.

1. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

I work at an ethanol plant here in northeast Indiana, and have been working 2nd shift (3-11 pm) for the past two months, but am changing areas within the plant. I will be working a rotating swing shift. For two weeks I'll work days, and the next two weeks I will work nights. They are 12 hour shifts, well, actually 12.25 hrs. (6:45 till 7). I may be have part with my 1 year old plow because this schedule doesn't seem like it will be too friendly with plowing snow. I thought about getting in touch with the individual that plows at our plant for assisting when I'm not working, but was told by some people that I wouldn't be allowed because of conflict of interest.

So, what kind of hours do others work?

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Monday to Friday 5:15 AM-5:14 PM, 27 minutes for lunch, 2-13 minute breaks in between. My boss is a slavedriver.

3. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

When you own your own business it seems like it's a 24hr a day job.

Actually I wouldn't ever want to work for anyone else again.

4. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

I know that feeling auto repair 8am-6pm m_f / towing 24/7 / snow plowing ? / vol fire fighter24/7 and i am self employed worked at GM dealer for years but nothing like being your own bossussmileyflag

5. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Sun up to sun down....and then some!

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Apparently we work for the same guy. ;)

On a serious note, is there a way to find someone that would be reliable to drive your truck when you can't.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I work if and when I feel like it.

8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I don't have another job during the winter. Hopefully it snows enough.

9. Elite_Maint

Elite_Maint Senior Member

It's hard to find reliable workers period. I have finally found 1 reliable driver that replaces me if i can't make it.

10. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

I'm not sure of anyone I could trust and depend on to run my truck. I have a hard time wanting to let people drive my truck during the summer, let alone during the winter plowing snow. In this area of Indiana, I'm pully a whole $60/hr., so I don't feel that it'd be worth the trouble to find someone else and pay them, and then have to deal with the tax issue at the end of the year.

I really like plowing snow and love my Boss snowplow that I've only got to use 1 season. I just don't think my work hours are going to allow plow time.

11. Elite_Maint

Elite_Maint Senior Member

I personally think it's always worth having at least one reliable worker that you can trust.. In case you get sick or something unexpected comes up having someone that can fill your shoes for a few days is never a bad thing.

12. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

owning a business is never ending,but comes to a point where u have to split the 2 work is work and family is family

13. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

I'm trying to maintain a full time job, part-time farm, and part-time plow snow.

14. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

I work four 10's 7-6 Monday through Thursday. Luckily my boss is flexible with me in the winter. I can't complain.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Self employed. Carpentry/remodeling/roofing/you name it. Work by myself mostly, have my 16 year old son help on occasion. Also do part time/occasional school bus driving. Going to get my tank/hazmat soon, hopefully I can find some part time/occasional heating oil/propane delivery work for the winter between storms. If I could get 20-30 hours/week doing that, with plowing I would be fine for the winter.

16. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I thought everyone on PS made enough money during the winter that we didn't have to work during the summer.

Landscape company owner. I work ALL the time. I lay in bed thinking about work. I work on the weekends. I work during the day and night. But I am the boss and I LOVE it that way.

17. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I am in the same boat your in. I work similar shift work but i am rotating, every 2 days i rotate and it's 24/7. The best thing to do is sub for a guy on your days off. I have done this and seemed to work out pretty good. If it happened to snow before i have to go in to work, i all of a sudden get sick ;).

This year we have our own accounts and we sub. If i cant make it, we have a back up truck to pick up the slack. No one drives my truck ( except for the wife :p) I wouldn't let anyone drive your truck especially plowing :dizzy:.

I wish i can say that. :drinkup:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  18. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I work a rotating 12 hour shift, 7:30pm to 7:30 am 2 on 2 off. I would work Fri, Sat, Sun then the next week off the same days. It ends up 48 hrs one week the next 36. The 6 months it's dry I can paint houses. The next 6 months I have to paint inside. When it snows I plow. The Wife still complains I am never Home! Yet, She never haves a problem spreading the money I make ! She complains when the " Big Red Drain" need parts to make yet more money! And they say we are the PSYCHO ones!

19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I work a rotating 12 hour shift, 7:30pm to 7:30 am 2 on 2 off. I would work Fri, Sat, Sun then the next week off the same days. It ends up 48 hrs one week the next 36. The 6 months it's dry I can paint houses. The next 6 months I have to paint inside. When it snows I plow. The Wife still complains I am never Home! Yet, She never haves a problem spreading the money I make ! She complains when the " Big Red Drain" need parts to make yet more money! And they say we are the PSYCHO ones!

20. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

26 hours a day 8 days a week... Thats what i tell all my customers