1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Kind of equipment for tight apartment and condos

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pilot29, Dec 14, 2010.

1. pilot29

pilot29 Junior Member

Hey Guys,

Need help on what kind of equipment you would recommend.

Property is a large apartment complex. The photo I have attached shows basically the main idea of what will be plowed. Straight drive/parking lot with no real room for snow on the sides. Current sub has two trucks pushing and a bobcat loading the snow into a truck and hauling a decent amount of it away.

The attached photo shows basically 1 of the 3 buildings ( on the left in the picture.) so add 3 more of these long drives with single car parking on one side (plus a small seperate parking lot) and you have an idea of what needs to be pushed. The drive attached is narrow enough that it is one way. Where the white van and black s-10 are in the pic is where there is diagonal parking.

There is also a two lane road that has condos on either side of it that needs to be plowed. This is right next to the apartments so no need to haul equipment on a trailer or drive a distance....The length of that is probably 1/8th to a 1/4th of a mile. Snow can be pushed to either side so that's not really a problem on what type of blade/blower/snow pusher would be used.

We have no truck currently, so I don't want to get a truck and plow, I would rather get sometime like a bobcat or backhoe or something like that.

The sites are located in the southern michigan/northern indiana area so they get a decent amount of snow ( 16 inches in the past 5 days.)

My questions is, what kind of set up would you recommend? We have a Bobcat S300 with an enclosed cab at another site, we are working now to decide if they need it there or if we can tranfer it to this site. The complex is currently spending about $1000 a push. Given they are getting atleast 4-5 pushes a month it is really adding up. I'm already a salaried employee so they want me to start doing it. (My job position requires little of me, no more than one-two days a week)

Bobcat with snowbox deal to push the snow out into areas where it can be piled?
    Bobcat with blower and just shoot it over into the wooded areas?
    Bobcat with normal plow for the longer road?
    If a bobcat is the way to go, what size bobcat would you recommend. What about a toolcat?
    maybe there is another piece of machinary that I'm not thinking of.
    maybe a backhoe wouldn't be a bad idea? or a small cat loader?

Thanks in advance.

apartments.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

I am running a Bobcat S250 2 speed it will clean that and a whole lot more no problem.tymusic

3. pilot29

pilot29 Junior Member

Thanks Chineau, what kind of attachments would you recommend, V Plow? box blow?

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You work for the apartment complex and they asked you to do this as part of your job?

5. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

s-250 with a kage setup = $$$$$ in yo pocket

6. paponte

paponte Senior Member

You just can't beat a bobcat at condos IMO. They are smaller and more maneuverable than a pickup, and are great for getting in between cars. Although I have never used the Kage it sounds like a great tool for the job. Depending on the account we tend to use a plow with wings or a box. As far as size,
    I would go the biggest your budget allows.

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Skis steer, skid steer, skid steer. We do a set of very tight condo's and I would love to put the skid steer up there but I need it to load salt at another site.

8. loaderplower93

loaderplower93 Member

9. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

my dad runs with 2 quads and 2 gators in one place and a jeep and then for walmart tight places he had his big cat front end load get a custom plow made just the length of the parking spots with 2 longbeds in the spots so he can be ready for anything. he also has bobcats and 1500 trucks and now he has large mowers with blowers on the front

10. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

I have a v plow that I like to use on parking lots as you can move a lot of snow quick with it. I also use an 88" snow bucket from Bobcat I like it for driveways and stacking, it really depends on the type of work.tymusic

11. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

If you are in indy, why are you going to Michiana?

12. pilot29

pilot29 Junior Member

company jet being moved.

13. pilot29

pilot29 Junior Member

So sounds like skid steer with a kage plow is the way to go....

Cat? Bobcat? New Holland?

Tracked or wheeled skid steer?

thanks again guys