1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of dump?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Yarden of eden, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Yarden of eden

Yarden of eden Member

I am looking for a reliable used 8 or 9 foot dump truck, 4x4. I'm looking to spend up to 8K without a plow, aand up to 10K with one. I am open to diesel or gas, want an auto. I have been looking at mid to late 90's chevys fords and dodge, it seems to me that a dodge is only worth it with a cummins, and that the 6.5 Chevy diesel is trouble, and I have heard that Fords 6.0 stinks while the 7.3 is bulletproof. Thisis the information I have pieced together through various other posts, and talking to other guys in the industry. I don't really know anything about their gas engines other than dodge has tranny problems, and that a chevy 350 is too small. I think that fuel cost won't make a lot of difference as gas prices are sky high, and with a truck this size always being under a load, diesel won't make a sizeable difference. I plan to use the truck on mid size commercial lots, and also for leaf clean ups and small landscape projecs. I have a V box salter to put in it, but if a truck had a hydro salter Id consider using that. What advice or info, good or bad can anyone give me about the different options? I am open to buying any type of truck except a V8 gas engine dodge. I also have no knowledge of the V10 engine on some fords and dodge trucks. So any input on those would be helpful too! Thanks!
  2. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

You're right, the cummins is the only good thing on a Dodge, the 6.0L Ford sucks, the 7.3L is good. The 6.5L is not going to win a race, but is a good engine as long as the fuel pump module update is done. Other than that, find a truck that is a good deal, and in good shape and works for you. Diesel would probably be a better option than gas.
  3. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

your gonna have better luck finding a ford with a 7.3 in it. the dodge with the cummins would be my first choice but to find one with less then 300k on it will be hard for the money.. The people who have them like them and run them till they die. stay clear of the chevy 6.5 they are expensive to fix and can be hard to get parts for
  4. bonerigo.1

bonerigo.1 Junior Member

I have an 07 dodge 3500 with a 5.7 v8 in it. For the past month its had a heavy trailer behind it daily, had 6 yrds of mulch in the bed, and been driven in town only. gets 11mpg. 52 gallon tank and have to fill up every other week. cost per week for fuel runs about 85-95 dollars. never has a problem pulling etc. could use a suspension upgrade in the rear.
  5. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

Don't write the Dodge gasser off so quick. I have a 2000 3500 8" dump with the 5.9 gasser and auto in it. Truck never had a plow or sander on it until I put one on. Installed a 8.5 Western Pro and an 8" Henderson v-box in the back. The truck is fantastic. wesport Pulled equipment trailers, chippers and car trailers with it. Loaded it with logs, mulch and dirt. Not a problem. Gets about 10 mpg empty. Found mine with only 34K on it two years ago. Just find one that is not beat. Good luck finding a diesel!!! Looked for one for about a year before this popped up. Way to much money and way to many miles. Find a good gasser and do the maintenance and you will be fine. Thumbs Up Just remember, any truck that has been worked, will need work!!