1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of Detroit Diesel do I have in my C8200 Bucket Truck?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by uglytruk, Nov 22, 2004.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

Ive been trolling Ebay for a manual for my recently purchased '77 Chevy 2 man aerial lift/ bucket truck. The original 427 was yanked in '89 and an 8.2 Detroit Diesel installed. This swap was done by PG&E (Pacific Gas and Electric), and was a professional swap, even the tach was changed. I have been looking for a manual for the engine and the truck(C65). The reman. tag reads; 8.2 V8, model 4087 7300CAL, serial 08GR 104154. Any one know what I have? The valve covers look like Big Block Ford, with scallops along the bottom, streamlined, individual runner exhaust manifolds. :help: :gunsfiring: Any supplier of discounted NAPA filters etc...??? Thanks

2. PackRat

PackRat Member
    from Kansas

Try checking out the heavy truck dealers, and repair shops, in the yellow pages.
    Chances are one or more are detroit dealers.

OR, google search: detroit diesel allison (your state)

Central Detroit in Salina has been very helpful on several occasions.

3. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

Good idea. My city is only 20,000 big. Albany is the next major center, and I did contact a Detroit shopthere. They offeres an 8.2 shop manual for $35. Seems reasonable. The parts fellow also suggested that my terrible cold start smoke could be injector pump timing. He said that the ?????? must be set with a dial indicator, they're very fussy. It also started today, at 15F. No glo worms or block heater. Where do I put in air brake drier? NAPA sold me some alcohol, but the schematic talks/shows a bubbling contraption. I havn't found it yet. I figured out how to bleed the air tanks, but no seperator. The air pump is a cast-iron, 2 cylinder, made in Canada jobbie. It takes its air from the filtered side of the air horn ("throttle body"). :gunsfiring: Maybe it's hiding with the glo-worms....

4. tuna

tuna Senior Member

8.2 is a good motor for a medium duty truck,i used to drive a Ford F800 that had one( yes they did put Detroits in Fords).

5. PackRat

PackRat Member
    from Kansas

Do you have air brakes, or just air accessories?

If you are running air brakes, I can do some research at the shop, for a plumbing schematic, to install a dryer. I'd get something like a Bendix AD-SP. They are smaller than an AD-9, and feature a spin on filter cartridge.

If you are just running accessories(air horns, tools, etc), you can buy a water separator, with heater, at most auto parts stores, and plumb it in ahead of the tank. I'd bet they would have to order it, unless they cater to a body shop clientele. Almost no one else uses a heated dryer.

6. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

The guys at one of the NAPA stores tried to be helpful, but didn't know much about air brakes. Yes, this 25000lb truck does have air brakes!. And I'm sure it could use a heater/drier. What do those baby's cost? Speaking of heaters, I should also install a block heater :nod: Have you got any manuals for Chevy 6500? 8.2 Detroit Diesel? :waving:

7. fans

fans Junior Member

Air Dryer

Air Dryer's are always a good idea. Alcohol injectors are okay but not as good in my opinion. Best thing I've found after 30+ years around trucks is to drain the air tanks every night, especially the first tank in the system (aka the wet tank). Put a MANUAL valve and a lanyard onto the valve and hook it near the driver's door - last thing you do for the day is pull the lanyard after you've locked the door.

I don't know that I'd go to the trouble of putting a dryer on a limited use truck, even after I've said they are worth it. It's a cost benefit thing I think, valve and lanyard are cheaper and you can see it working.

One thing you could do is clean out the air tanks with alcohol.

8. PackRat

PackRat Member
    from Kansas

I'd sure have a block heater, unless you are going to leave it set all winter. Cold starts are rough on an engine. My Cummins is pretty temperamental, when it gets below 50, so I plug it in. Also nice having heater and defrost right away.

If its just a limited use truck, you can probably get by with alcohol. The expense of a dryer, and plumbing won't be cheap, even if you install yourself.

No C65 manuals, but I can probably get a plumbing schematic, at work, that will show you how to hook it up.

9. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

Where do I put the alcohol? Are you referring an alcohol bubbler gizmo? The only place I could think to introduce the alcohol would be at the air horn, and it would be kinda' hard to squirt it in when I wuz driving :rolleyes: To whomever replied about the lanyard to the air tank bleeders, I do have them, and I removed and cleaned the rear one as it was gunked-up. The lanyard for that one runs behind the mud flap. I can just see the flap actuating it at speed! :realmad: I'll have to find a better route for it, not that this truck can "speed". :blush2: The brake "treadle" valve, (where the master cyl. would be), is missing some kind of cap or cover. There is a 1 1/2" diagphram hanging out. What the heck is missing? What about the timing issue? Where are the injectors? Does this 8.2 use a "throttle body" type of injection?

10. fans

fans Junior Member

Alcohol

Last I knew there was an alcohol induction kit that needed to be added after the air compressor.

11. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

Off to the NAPA store...