1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of coats do you wear?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JayD2, Nov 6, 2010.

1. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

When using snow blowers last year, the wind would always catch the snow and blow it back onto me, then my body heats melts it, I'm wet and cold.

What do you guys wear that wont let the snow soak through? I don't like something that bogs me down.

How about gloves? Something that keeps your hands warm but still lets you work in them?

Been looking at the DULUTH TRADING CO and it looks like they have some good stuff. I just hate ordering things like this with out seeing it or trying it on first.

duluthtrading.com

Thanks,

2. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Carhartt......

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Layers my friend, layers. I wear a outer shell, usually lined canvas or denim, then a fleece coat underneath, heavy sweater, long sleeved shirt, then thermal underwear. Same with pants; Bib coverals, jeans, sweat pants, then thermal underwear too. I might leave off a layer or two if it is warm, but it isn't unusual around here to be -30 C (-22 F) to -40 C (-40 F)

4. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

We wear carhart coats and bibs, and spray them with "camp dry" water proofing spray before we wear them and after they get washed. Water beads up. You may still get wet in some cases, but not as quickly.

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with layering COMPLETELY, every outdoor activity authority teaches it. Allows you to adjust to temp changes and different levels of activity.

Wear a polypropylene base layer, then fleece(maybe 2 layers) I like the ones with pit zips, then a breathable waterproof shell of some kind(gore tex, pricey but a good bet) Cabelas sells pretty good stuff. Many of the authorities say "cotton kills" as it doesn't move moisture away from the skin. I don't spend much time physically working in the cold anymore. Driving, supervising, plowing, loading salters(machine) and fixing mechanical issues, but I did my time with a shovel and snowblower. I used to swear by my Carhartt coveralls, treated with camp dry, then my son got active with BSA and some of the other dads were well educated in how to dress for activity in the cold, Carhartts still have their place for me, just not when I have to be active and or wet.

GOOGLE can be a good resource, research how cross country skiers and snow shoers dress and adapt it your use.

6. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

Layering here too. That way I can shed what I need to while running around in the truck and still have the warmth I need to shovel a walk.

Mostly I wear the normal jeans and shirts. Throw in a sweat shirt. then my coveralls. Over that I have a Eddie Bauer parka I can shed when needed (tons of pockets :)). Gloves are fleece lined - insulated work gloves I found at TSC.

7. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Champ Dry? First time I have ever heard of that, where can you buy it?

8. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

camp dry... you can get it at walmart, k-mart, dicks, gander mountain, cabelas, sears, jcpenny, kohls, most army navy stores, or any other store that sells clothing or camping supplies

9. snowtech

snowtech Member

layers and gore tex

10. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

OK, thanks. I cant believe that I have not heard of that before and I have worked construction for over 15 years.....I will look for it.

11. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Carhart bibs and a big waterproof green ugly jacket, I sweat more than I get wet from snow lol.

12. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I use it for everything... Bibs, jackets, tents, boat canvas... Pretty much anything that needs to stay dry... Gander mountain normaly has the best price

13. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Carhartt coat carhartt pants, I have 4 carhartt coats. I also have a full blizzard pro suit for when it gets real bad

14. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Tee shirt an shorts, Oh sorry, my bad, I thought u had asked what you wear when your plowing (LOL) Sorry :laughing:

15. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

I would use layers and then the shell of a snowmobile jacket since they deflect the snow and wind.

16. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

And this is why breathable layers that carry moisture from the skin are important.

17. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Gortex outer layer and eliminate all cotton from under layers.

18. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I would use a snowmobile suit that has one zipper.
    Put on when blowing and take off when getting back in truck.

19. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

I get used gore-tex one piece snow suits I get off ebay. they are so much warmer and thinner than a carhart, plus they have vents in places like the underarms to keep you from sweating. If I try doing the same thing in a carhart after wearing the snow suits, I cant believe how much those big heavy things restrict movement and dont wick away moisture. The only good thing about a carhart is durability.

20. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I throw a John Deere rain coat / wind breaker I got at Tractor Supply for 20.00 over top of my bibs and sweatshirt. Works great.